Servicing the 4-strokes...

I have kind of been out of the loop.

My dad and I want to get the RXP and RXT serviced soon since it is the winter and the Sea-Doo dealership isn't busy. How much are we looking at to spend per ski?

I figure the oil and filter need to be changed, plugs changed, and coolant changed. What else needs to be done? I know the skis need to be hooked up to BUDS to remove the MAINT warning that flashes on start-up.

Any advise would be great.

Also, I think the RXT might have some kind of air leak. When you fire it up cold the RPM's surge slightly. The RXP doesn't do this.

+1
    First thing IMHO would be to get the dealer to clear the code and do all the other stuff yourself.

It is all very easy and the money you would spend would buy the tools to do it and that way you know it is done right.

I could burn you a copy of the manual if you like.

David

Quote Originally Posted by 1 FAST VE View Post
    First thing IMHO would be to get the dealer to clear the code and do all the other stuff yourself.

It is all very easy and the money you would spend would buy the tools to do it and that way you know it is done right.

I could burn you a copy of the manual if you like.

David
    I agree, Chances are the dealer is going to charge you a rediculous amount of money. There is a lot of how-to's on here that will guide you through most of the maintence and if you cant find the info than just ask most people are glad to help.

Also, when you start to work on your ski the more and more aware you are of all the different things going on in your jet ski.

Get a manual from someone and start reading.

It's not that I don't want to do it, it just I don't have much time since I am in school. The dealer I don't think would charge an arm and a leg either. The mechanic is really good and he has done some work for me. Terry T can vouch for me on how good the mechanic is.

Besides the oil and filter, coolant, and plugs, does anything else need to be looked at?

Like I said, the RXT surges slightly on cold starts, this normal?

I read up online how to change the oil. Pretty straight forward. I think I might just do it myself when I'm up at the lake.

Correct me if I am wrong. I will need to buy parts wise: oil boy, 7 quarts of oil (pull out between 3 and 3.5 per ski), two oil filters, 3 o-rings per ski, and a E-10 torx socket.
    Last edited by KeithKman; 01-28-2008 at 02:55 AM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the o-rings should be fine... unless u try prying off the cap they dont get damaged... use the bolt in the center of the cap cocked sideways to lift the cap off

unless the skis have over 100 hours, i wouldn't worry about changing the coolant yet

you could be looking at around $200 bucks per ski for a full winterizing oil change service

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    the o-rings should be fine... unless u try prying off the cap they dont get damaged... use the bolt in the center of the cap cocked sideways to lift the cap off

unless the skis have over 100 hours, i wouldn't worry about changing the coolant yet

you could be looking at around $200 bucks per ski for a full winterizing oil change service
    Thanks Steve. Looks like I will do it myself. The skis have 65 hours. I want to change the coolant since it gets very hot where we ride.

And I plan on buying the o-rings just in case. Knowing my luck, if I don't buy them, they will break and I will have to make the 30 minute drive each way to the dealer. lol.
    Last edited by KeithKman; 01-28-2008 at 01:09 PM.

I didn't buy a torx either. I forgot what size, but one of my sockets fits over it perfectly. Didn't strip the head on the bolt or anything. Also, don't skimp out on the oil extractor. I found while looking that many weren't even big enough to hols enough oil for one change. I spent like 60 or 70 bucks I think, and glad I forked over the cash for the better one.

This is the one I got I believe, or one that looks the same.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/366982973.htm

Yeah, I think a 1/4" socket or wrench will work on that torx bolt if i remember correctly, if it's the same size bolt that hold the SC on the block.

+1
    I went by Sears and bought a Torx set on sale for $20.

I have been looking at a pneumatic oil extractor. Using the manual pump system, I can get 4 quarts of oil out with help, but by myself I get about 3.5 quarts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1032-...spagenameZWDVW
    Last edited by cbrich; 01-29-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Thread Information