Just want to ride.
    +1

Unhappy Dead 1300 - Help?

Hey guys,

I put a new top end in my 1300, plus VF-2s, and a race filter. Broke in without any trouble last weekend. Hit the lake today, about 12 miles out, the ski pops (thought I might have hit a stick) but still runs; as I slow down, it starts to bog, so I let off the throttle entirely (scared of seize). She idles rough, then dies. After that, nothing.

Fortunately, I was out with another ski, so we got it back to the launch a couple of hours later. Got it home - compression checks out 130-130-125; threw a spark tester on - spark on all 3. Plugs are wet, and I can smell fuel - but she won't even catch - not a stumble, nothing.

I thought the pop might be a backfire - blown reed? If a reed cage was bad, wouldn't the ski at least run rough? I'm stumped, because there's nothing happening, as if I was missing spark/fuel/compression.....

What I don't know is this - what can happen that would allow for compression and spark, and I think fuel, but keep the ski from firing at all?

Also, what's the easy check for fuel with the EFI skis? I can't verify flow visually; just the 'fuel smell' and wet plugs.

I'm too frustrated to tear it down tonight; I'm hoping somebody has seen this before, and can give me some advice.....

Thanks guys!
    Sean

+1
    I have broken a reed and it would idle/run just not reach peak RPM's.

Ive broken a reed and the eng will not run.

It's due to the x over channels which stop the crankcase being charged as the broken reed stops all three from sealing as they are all connected.

Just want to ride.
    +1

Reeds?

Reed Failure?

Anybody else had a bad reed keep the ski from firing at all? I'm heading that direction as the culprit, but don't want to tear down and find out that can't be my problem......

Also, anybody with thoughts on the fuel check? I thought about pulling the clamp at the top of the tank and checking for fuel flow, but wasn't sure if there's a better way?

Thanks guys!

+1
    Check all your grounds!!!! EFI's are not happy with bad grounds... My friends 06 would bog at 4000 to 4200 rpms uncontrollably... after 2 tear downs we found a loose ground. Cant hurt right???

Just want to ride.
    +1

Grounds

Thanks Ink;

I thought of that, and double checked both already. I haven't disconnected the EFI controller yet, but will tonight to see if it makes a difference (probably won't).

I'm just stumped as to why it won't even cough - regardless of a single, or even dual reed failure.

Starting to wonder about timing - I didn't touch the flywheel cover, but I'm curious as to whether or not I could have a problem there.......

+1
    Are you positive you have spark? My throttle cable stuck on my 03 not letting the throttle body butterfly's close to idle position. It would turn over and not start. I had no idea what the problem was until someone on here told me.

+1
    The ground that was causing my boy's ski to run weird was the ground for the controller!!! At some point in time he put some Crc dielectric grease on the ground... The ground rusted within this gooey mess.... Cleaned and tightened the bolt and the ground... No problems since. Go figure..

Just want to ride.
    +1

Smile Reeds killed the motor!

So I tore it down today; I was suspicious all along - used VF2s are a timebomb, I know.......

Found part of a petal inside the air filter, and cleaned everything up. Stock reeds back in, new gasket, etc; took a couple of minutes to get all of the junkola out of the cylinders and get a clean fuel charge, but then she fired up and is running again just like normal!

I just wanted to update this to let everybody know that YES, one broken reed petal (PTO cylinder, inner wedge, upper middle petal gone) can kill a 1300 dead. I knew I had spark, compression and fuel, but I didn't realize until I tore it down that the crossover channels on the intake plate run all the way across all 3 intakes - I know now!

Hope this helps the next guy chasing a non starting gremlin.....

Sean

Thread Information