Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hot Hands Mod!!!!

Ok guys I,ve put this in the performance section I guess because if ya hands ain,t cold you should perform better...

If ya know this one just bare with me.....

Here goes how to put a hot hands kit on ya 250x...

Start with locating a few area,s on the ski so ya know where ya gonna be workin...Starting with the hot water discharge spout on the front right of the ski.....Located here on my ski by the fishes mouth.(Small black rubber peice).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot hands mod. 002.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	55121

Now lift the strage lid on the front of the ski and remove the storage bucket. Inside the front storage area again on the front right of the ski you should find a small white cover held in by two black plastic clips.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 006.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	55130

Now push the centre of the clips in very lightly so as NOT to push them right through ( They should click). Now remove the cover and behind it you should find the ass end of the black rubber spout that you located on the outside of the ski, with a small black hose commin off the back.(Not in my pic as I had already removed at this stage and re-routed,sorry guys horse bolted!! ).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 014.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	55131

Unclip the rubber hose from a rubber clip on the inside of the engine bay( This just pulls out).
    Now to do this you will have to remove the electronics cover, located to the rear of the front storage area. (Again be carefull not to push the four black clip centres right through).
    Now pull the pipe off the back, give it a good tug and a black two way hose barb should come off with it,(remove this and keep safe).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 041.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	55132

Now remove the electronics package in the same way as the cover and lay aside.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 018.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	55133

Now if anyones wondering where this pipe routes to it,s laid accross the top of the fuel tank running to the left of the ski as it goes back to the front of the exhaust manifold( No need to touch this part at all).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 021.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	55134

Part Two To Follow.....Bob.
    Last edited by English Bob; 01-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Part Two....

Now you will need to remove the black rubber pad that covers the handlebars. This is held in place by four medium sized philps screws. (Use a long philips, trust me you,ll need this again later).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 026.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	55146

Now remove the white polystyrene pad, being carefull to remove the beeper the way the wire trails out and lay aside.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 028.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	55147

Now sit on the ski and adjust the handle bars as far forward as they will go, and look down behind them and you,ll notice a rubber shrouded wire commin through a grommit.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 032.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	55148

Now this is where the long screwdriver comes into it,s own. GENTLY, push it down through the grommit.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 034.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	55149

Right now stand to the front right hand side of the ski and using your right hand locate the end of the screwdriver and push the hot water pipe onto it. Now using your left hand gently pull on the screwdriver whilst pushing the pipe with your right...and........hey presto pipes through....and if ya got it first time ya betta than me it took me four attempts....

Name:	Hot hands mod. 037.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	55150

Part three to follow....Bob..

Part Three...

Right guys here we go again....

Now you will notice that the pipe we pulled through the grommit is well long enough to reach where we need it too, but don,t cut it this mod is fully reversable for anyone who want,s to go back to full stock setup, and any exess pipe can be pushed back through the grommit
    (Also what ya can do at this stage is add some silicone around the grommit to aid in preventing water ingestion).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 039.jpg 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	55155

Now remove the the black plastic handlebar cover holder via the two 10mm bolts and trail the hose under the rubber cowling that surrounds the steering column and behind where the carrier was bolted, then place the carrier back on being carefull not to trap or pinch the pipe or cables.(you,ll wan,t to finish the pipe about where the one in the photo is, this is where the T piece attaches to run it to each handlebar grip, also it keeps it low enough to put the stock pads back on).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 044.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	55156

This is where it ends tonight guys it,s nearly one a.m and I,m knackerd and ain,t got the T peice yet, so more tommorow.

Please post comments along the way especially if ya know a better way or you see some glaring errors....

Also sorry to the guys that know their way around a ski, I made this one for everyone to understand...

Cheers for now and ta ta......English Bob...
    Last edited by English Bob; 01-28-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Top write up

Top write up so far Bob looks almost too easy.

I keep forgetting that some places get colder then 18C (64f) and protective clothing is used to keep you warm not just to keep the sun off!
    Last edited by FraggleRock; 01-28-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Very nice write up

I did not read it all, just glanced over it, but it is obviously a GREAT write up with good step/step and the bonus pics!

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Bob, Something to do while you have the cover off the handlebars, is to put a piece of electrical tape or a dab of silicone on the hole in the warning buzzer to cut down the noise from the warning buzzer if you think its to loud at times..........Mike

BTW...nice writeup
    Last edited by Mykull; 01-29-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: add

Stage 4 of Hot hands mod:

Good evening gents....

...Sorry about the delay in adding this stage, but it,s not without good reason, I spent a couple of hours in A+E last night..(Hot Hands construction incident!!!!! anyway I,ll get to that later...

Here we go again for the final stage......

Right from the point where we finished in stage 3 of the mod with the pipe routed up behind the steering cowling bracket ready for the T peice.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 044.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	55362

Here,s a pic of the items I,ve purchased to finish this mod..
    1 metre of 6mm id pipe.
    4 pipe clamps to suit. (you may end up with spares of these).
    1 equal T peice to suit.
    2 opposite self tap/threaded screw thingies.. (Technical Term).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 050.jpg 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	55363

Now place one of the hose clips onto the pipe comming up from inside the ski and insert the T peice into the hose making sure to tighten the hose clamp with the equal peices of the T peice heading off towards each handlegrip.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 057.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	55364

Now if you have the pipe run to each handlegrip cut it equally into two 50cm lengths (approx 19.7 inches) and insert them onto the two equal parts of the T. Slide two more clamps if needed onto them and tighten. (I have not done this on my ski as the fight was pretty tight and there is not a great deal of pressure in the pipe).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 058.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	55365

Now I know I said this was a completely reversable mod.....well I,ve changed it up a bit and I,d say it,s about 99% reversable now, because you will need to drill two holes in the end of the handle bars to insert the threaded thingies into to take the end of your hot hands pipes to give a real clean factory look... . Now drilling these holes is the tricky bit, the bars have what can only be described as a big round plate welded to the ends and boy it,s made of tuff stuff. I centre punched it started to drill a 3mm pilot hole and the drill bit broke, and of course I had my hand on the handlegrip holding the bars steady and the drill with the remaining 1 inch of drill bit in it wen,t staight into the side of my index finger and the bone. [email protected]*!!!... it hurt pullin that baby out....must of hit something good as the blood shot up about 6 inches and into the footwell of the ski. So from there I applied direct pressure called the missus into the garage told her what happened and that I was going to take myself to the A & E,(ER) as I could not stop the bleedin, and that she needed to clean the blood off my ski as it may stain the mats or paintwork!!!!!

Name:	Hot hands mod. 064.jpg 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	55366 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot hands mod. 066.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	55367

Now back to the task at hand....and using zip locks (tie wraps) secure the pipe to the handle bars

To be continued........Bob....

glad your doing this mod it's well worth it as you found out last weekend . and now you've done it the sun will be out for our next outing (lol)

Stage 5 of Hot Hands Mod...

Just for you guys wondering about the huge injury I sustained in stage 4 of this mod heres a picture....

Name:	Hot hands mod. 080.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	55389

On with the mod.....

Now repeat the process for the other side of the bars, and re-install the pads in a reverse of the way they were removed. (God I forgot what a good fit these pads were)!!!!!! . I think it looks pretty factory and a lot of my buddies won,t even notice the mod till I tell them.....
    Judge for yourself......

Name:	Hot hands mod. 073.jpg 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	55390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot hands mod. 072.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	55391

Now you need to drill a series of holes in the pipe where it passes over the top of your hands, (approx 5 an inch appart). This will let the hot/warm water pass over your hands and up ya arms and onto ya legs, givin ya that 'Warm just pissed in me wetsuit feeling).... and nice toastie hands.

Name:	Hot hands mod. 081.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	55392

Now for the final part of the mod......some guys may think this pointless but I did it anyway...with the 2 way hose barb ya removed earlier fill one end with silicone and insert it back onto the ass end of the outlet grommit in the front of the ski.(to aid in preventing water ingestion, no matter how small or unlikely).

Name:	Hot hands mod. 083.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	55393 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot hands mod. 084.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	55394

Re assemble all the parts removed cowlings/covers/electrical packs/storage buckets...etc....and go skeing.........with warm hands..

Hope ya enjoyed the mod....please all comments welcome GOOD or BAD!!

and a big thanks to Jetbob for givin me the idea of doin it in the first place....

good evening to all and ta ta.....English Bob (off having a cup of Tea).

Quote Originally Posted by jetrob View Post
    glad your doing this mod it's well worth it as you found out last weekend . and now you've done it the sun will be out for our next outing (lol)
    Probably true....but hey arn,t we supposed to be havin a couple of flakes of snow tommorow.....and they,ve already issued severe weather warnings for most of the country.... you know what it,s like two flakes of snow or ten minutes of rain and the country grinds to a halt...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information