Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Stock sponson mod?

Has anyone ever tried cutting the last section of the stock sponson off and mounting it all the way forward? It's a free mod we use on some of the Polaris' to gain some speed. Works very well on them. I don't have a sponson in front of me, but maybe it would work well for you 3 seater guys??? All I have is a picture, but hey... who knows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	convert_645.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	3630  

I wonder if Shibby still has his 05 set...

+1
    I gotta tell ya, it works awesome on the Polari. I know that's not comparing apples to apples, but if someone tried it and it picked up a mile per hour, that's a free mile per hour.

I'll sell my 05' stock sponsons if someone needs an extra pair to try this.

Jay

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    sure it would raise the bow... but adversely you would lose lift on the back end of the hull. the RXP and RXT hulls are far different than anything else out there. As it is right now the battle is trying to get these deep heavy hulls to dance on their tippy toes and get the ass end of the machine out of the water alot more. Sure doesn't hurt to TRY something... but i dont want to butcher up my stock sponson for something that in my mind is telling me it's not going to do what i think we need it to do.

+1
    Well... I hear ya on that. With the Polaris' it was proven to work and the dealer was selling stock sponsons for $75 a pair. (cheap money)

Anyhow, too bad I don't own one. With the RIVA's being touted as great, I know I would have a set. (RIVA's) I would then butcher the living shit out of my stockers and test them for everybody. I mean, who cares right? You're all running RIVA's.

If it didn't work... into the trash they go!!! I'm not scared!!!

I'd try it if I had Riva's on and liked them over stock.
    Right now I just have my stockies. Does the 05 RXP work on the RXT ? I would think not.

+1
    I know you would Kinchyle, I know you would... and Kudos to you for it!!!

Don't have an answer to your question though!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    sure it would raise the bow... but adversely you would lose lift on the back end of the hull.

Are you sure? You know this for a fact? The idea is to create less drag and more lift, thereby generateing more speed. Raising the bow usually helps to achieve this in all areas.(Kinda like you're doing anytime you add a wedge to any boat.)

the RXP and RXT hulls are far different than anything else out there.

Please elaborate. Of course there are differences, but just how "far different" are they, and in what areas?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    bringing the bow up reduces wet surface, yes.... we can get the bows up on these skis no problem with wedges, riding positions, etc... but bringing the bow up often times jsut digs the transom into the water deeper causing more drag. you need to find the perfect balance of bring the bow up as well as creating lift beneath the transom... as much lift as possible while maintaining pump hook-up.

ways to create lift... sponsons in the DOWN position, skegs, new rideplate, chines like a GPR...

to bring the bow up and reduce more wet surface... wedge, mill the rideplate...

when you get a change, get on your back underneath a GPR and an RXP side by side... u'll wish you could transplant the RXP top deck onto a GPR bottom. the lines, the geometry, the rideplate, the chines... huge differences. GPR guys can get several MPH out of their skis just from pump and hull work.

read this link... it's been very helpful in my understanding of hull dynamics

http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3315

it's an extremely delicate balance of lift, handling, and porpoising that you need to find the point of diminishing returns. every 1 thing u change will probably sacrifice another aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information