Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

RXT w/ Pump wedge GPS RESULTS.... THE MYTH behind it all

so i always heard that that pump wedge adds top speed... maybe only .5 mph or so... but i never even believed that. So, i took matters into my own hands today.

Fine tuned my ski and did a full pre-ride prep last night in anticipation of today...

checked oil level, cleaned OPAS filter screen in venturi thoroughly, took out pump and flipped wear ring over to get a "new" wear ring effect, and made sure tehre was no loose silicon or anything in the intake area.

Both runs were performed in the EXACT same location and in the same manner. I went out, did about 7-8 runs in all different directions and recorded my first batch of GPS numbers.

Went back to the ramp quick, pulled the pump off in the parking lot, added PVC to the OPAS system to jam them in the up position, and added the 2.5 degree pump wedge and readjsuted the reverse cable and added all new necessary bolts and spacers and dashed to the same riding spot so that the wind and conditions would not cahnge on me at all.

110% stock RXT
    VERY FULL TANK OF GAS
    74 Degrees outside
    Elevation = 3 Feet (i'm at sea level, but i guess sea level isn't ZERO feet after all according to GPS?)
    RPMS = 8100
    GPS MAX Speed was duplicated 3 times = 65.4

RXT with 2.5 Pump Wedge and OPAS PVC mod
    VERY FULL TANK OF GAS
    74 degrres
    Elevation = 3 feet
    RPMS = 8100
    GPS Max Speed duplicated 3 times = 65.4

MORAL OF THE STORY.... the pump wedge didn't do a damn thing for top speed. not even a tenth of a mile an hour.

this is my second ski doing this mod on... 03 NA 4-tec, and now an RXT.... with both skis i never saw a speed increase while others claim they did. Well i don't think testing can get much more thorough than this... same day, within 25-30 minutes of each other, same ski, same GPS. this myth has been BUSTED!! at least in my book

+1
    Well maybe at least you'll keep a little drier...

I ordered two Riva intake grates for our RXT's the other day, and the tech asked me if I wanted two wedge's as well.
    I asked "WHY".
    He tries to tell me that adding a grate will adversely effect the handling of my boats,and you HAVE to add a wedge to make them handle right again.
    I told him he was full of sh!t and asked him where he had heard THAT.
    He wouldn't/couldn't tell me
    I told him he could keep the wedges

I may have been born at night,but it wasn't LAST NIGHT!!

+1
    HAHAHA.... i'm not saying the wedge does nothing... i mean some RANT AND RAVE about the handling improvement from a wedge... i'm a very very critical person... as you can see from my test method. i wanted to know the facts, so thought doing the mod on site in the parking lot and doing all my testing in the same hour and same place was a good approach. i noticed a SLIGHT different feel in handling and the bow being higher and staying drier and handling rough water better. Overall, 115 bucks for this aluminum round thing... hm i dunno. in my experience, testing it hasn't delivered as promised on two skis in a row now.

i'd blow my money with more effective mods like air intakes, Vortechs, and new Props and such... not on billet aluminum wedges personally.

You know a lot of these mods are a waste of money even with the exhaust. People spend all this money for a very little gain. I guess this makes some of us happy to spend hundreds of dollars for a mile or two gain.

Shibby,

I never noticed a speed gain either on my GTX SC. But as a handling mod, IMO the pump wedge and blockoffs (not block ups) are the best bang for $ a person can buy. To me, it make the ski feel 200lbs lighter. (which means it still felt like a 750 lbs ski lol)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Shibby,

I never noticed a speed gain either on my GTX SC. But as a handling mod, IMO the pump wedge and blockoffs (not block ups) are the best bang for $ a person can buy. To me, it make the ski feel 200lbs lighter. (which means it still felt like a 750 lbs ski lol)
    i think that's EXACTLY it thomas. I need to suck it up and remove OPAS even tho i didn't want to initially. I think you see gains as a package with the wedge and OPAS block off.

I forgot to mention the reverse gate. It can be thrown out of adjustment by the wedge also. You may have a little of the reverse gate extending into the output stream of the pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    I forgot to mention the reverse gate. It can be thrown out of adjustment by the wedge also. You may have a little of the reverse gate extending into the output stream of the pump.
    i already adjusted the reverse gate... i knew that much.

can't figure out how to adjust the steering. it's cocked to the left a little. i removed glove box and found the black box under steering and then it has a blakc nut and thrn the thick black hose with cable inside it.... how do i adjsut the steering?

+1
    You twist that nut left or right.

I have the wedge on my old gtx-sc with block off, worx grate, worx sponsons and a solas impeller. I wouldn't ride without it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information