Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

4-Tec 155 HP. Engine Custom Air Intake

Has anyone changed the air intake on the 4-Tec N/A 155 HP. engine? Were there any performance differences? If so, what were they? I'm just wondering if the time and money is worth it. I have twins in my boat.

Somebody's had to have tried it......

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spd5535 View Post
    Somebody's had to have tried it......
    You could make a custom intake, I am not sure what it would take on a boat(as opposed to a ski) but you would have to remove the stock filter element that is in the intake manifold. There is a thread on that somewhere in the SeaDoo forums.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'm actually a man on a mission right now... building up a 155 hp GTX as best i can.

i have an air intake on it
    have an exhaust on it
    have some pump stuff and props and pump wedge
    i removed the flame arrestor out of the intake manifold

i'm not expecting much... it's typically a 56-57mph ski the GTX 4-tec... i'm hoping to put it in the 61+ zone if i can, but we're very limited with what we can do on these things...

cold air always helps, so get yourself two cold air free flowing air intakes somehow.. dont u have on plastic air box right now mounted against the back seats in the engine compartment with two hoses going to each motor? ... i forget the factory configuartion on that... there might not be much to gain... maybe run a fresh air feed into the air box and seal it so only outside cool air can get in there

i'll let u know how i make out with a few small things with my 155

Shibby, any idea where to mount the voltage regulator once the airbox is removed. Sounds like you can run into a lot of problems if you don't cool it correctly; is this true. Also, there's a small tube coming off the back of the air box running to the back of the engine. Can you tell me what this is? I can't find a name for it on the schematic or what it's for.........Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just a newbee to the whole modding-the-engine thang....

+1
    about 1" hose or so?

connects to a fitting contraption looking thing on the rear of the motor towards the top?

if so, that's the crankcase breather... basically an emissions thing to have it recycle back into the air box... combustion happens in the "top end" of a motor... but gases and pressure also make their way into the "bottom end" / the crankcase of the motor... the way that it escapes is via that crankcase breather, and having that hose vent back into the air box makes the EPA happy and also helps to create a very slight suction / vaccuum to help suck the fumes out of the bottom end rather than having those fumes and gases have to push themselves out.

however... about 99% of the people here with modified skis, just disconnect that hose and either put a mini 1" filter on there or ru the hose to something we call a "catch can" which lets the fumes and condensation and blow-by gases colect in a container and the free air escape thru the top of the container

Banned User
    +1
    Shibby, the FA on the 155 is the same on the 185, correct? How hard is it to remove? I will be removing it from my father's 04 GTX this summer...

+1
    yes danny... same thing in 155

it took me 10 minutes honest to god... it was a frustrating aggravating 10 minutes, but it came out

jeff 05limited hjas a picture and thread of one he removed and how to collapse it into the center

once u start poking around in there u'll see quickly what needs to be done

Shibby, how about where to mount the voltage regulator once the airbox is removed? I've read some horror stories about it going out from overheating.

Mine is tie strapped to the old airbox mounting plate so that the cooling fins become part of it. A lot of air can move around it and the heat sink is now bigger. No problems so far.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information