Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Chasing Birds-Not good...

Water mayhem punished

Posted 8 hours ago

A father and son from Concord, Ont. have pleaded guilty for their roles in an incident on East Lake last summer in which a personal watercraft chased a family of swans along the waterway.
    In July, several residents called provincial police after observing the watercraft - which was being operated by a 15-year-old male - chase the birds around the lake.
    The initial investigation into the incident was hindered by two elements, police reported: the suspect lived out of town and traveled out of the country for the latter part of the summer.
    Ultimately, charges were laid against the youth and his 43-year-old father in September under the Canada Shipping Act.
    While appearing before a Picton court last week, the father pleaded guilty to allowing a person under the age of 16 with operating a personal watercraft. He was ordered to make a $1,000 donation to the Bergeron Animal Sanctuary.
    His son, meanwhile, pleaded guilty to operating a vessel in a careless manner and was placed on probation for 12 months. He was also ordered to complete community service hours.
    The name of the father cannot be published as it would identify the 15-year-old, whose identity is protected under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=878134

People are watching behavior, whether driving a car and responding to highway signs that read 'report drunken drivers', or intersection cameras....you cannot run anymore...and fun is definetly defined in laws as to what you can or cannot do, and chasing swans is not one of them! LOL Besides hitting a bird that size could kill

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Two things, nuber one it was 15 year old kid, and i remeber as a kid you do stupid things, and yes it is the parent's responsibility to, correct those behaviors. Second, sometimes the geese chase back.

Bird Strikes

I was very surprised to hear last summer how many PWC riders have hit or been hit by birds (and Sturgeon). There are all kinds of birds out here but so far none have crossed my path. The reported incidence of bird strikes was actually a major factor in my decision to wear full coverage helmet in 08.

I actually worry more though about these seals that pop up in the middle of nowhere or simple floating wood. As ive said many times here before, though, at least I dont have to worry about sharks and box jellies like some of you yahoos!

Things not to hit...

Our biggest concerns (pun intended) are collisions with humpback whales, killer whales, sea lions, seals and jumping salmon. Floating debris isn't too much of a problem unless you are WOT....at 'normal' cruising speed of 25-30 mph, we usually can see debris in time to avoid collision. Other boats are normally the least of our worries....how about your riding areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    As ive said many times here before, though, at least I dont have to worry about sharks and box jellies like some of you yahoos!
    Main concern on our side are box jellies. WHich is why(aside from sun protection) we cover ourselves with clothing gear etc. Shark attacks here are extremely rare. ALmost unheard of even though the Philippine archipelago has more marine species per unit area than any other place on the planet.

Box jellies

Mitch:
    I just googled Box Jellyfish and I think I'd rather deal with bears! How often do you run into the box jellies? I can't imagine having to deal with something that deadly on a daily basis. Do you worry about getting them jammed in the jet pump? Can you predict where they'll be? I was seriously considering a trip to warmer climates to ride for a vacation, but not if I have to deal with those critters! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Mitch:
    I just googled Box Jellyfish and I think I'd rather deal with bears!
    LOL! Box jellies are prevalent in tropical regions. Although I have encountered just a few, I have heard of numerous stories and most end up fatal. It's a good thing that the box's "harpoon-like" stingers couldn't penetrate lycra clothing.

Afaik, there's no risk of this jellies jamming the jetpump. What's more worrying is whenever your ski's nose submerges a bit on rough waters and precisely at that point, a box jelly was swimming near the surface for you to scoop up..

Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    ...What's more worrying is whenever your ski's nose submerges a bit on rough waters and precisely at that point, a box jelly was swimming near the surface for you to scoop up..
    I think I'll take a pass on this experience Mitch. Those jellies have the most powerful venom in animal world! Suddenly, the good ol PSound seems more hospitable despite freezing temps and snow. I did see a whale once but from a long way away. Must keep good distance from those behemoths of the sea!

+1
    I hit a duck last summer and it was bad enough. I can't think about something bigger or something that could sting the crap out of me.

+1

Angry Damn swans!

I had the opposite experience ... there was a particular swan that used to chase and attack me and other jetksiers on our lake in Michigan (and fisherman, and even us when we waterskiied!). I called the DNR, they issued ME a live capture permit (what a joke!) and would do nothing. The bird literally knocked people off jetskis, pecked others, and caused two people to hit a bridge abutment (at idle thankfully). Even tho the species was not native to Michigan, they are protected ... and the damn DNR told me that if the bird attacked me, and I killed it defending myself, they would charge me a fine and put me in jail!!! No $HIT, I am not kidding! I told them that if THEY attacked me in a parking lot, I could shoot THEM in self-defense ... and that apparently the damn swan had MORE rights than humans did! They said 'the law is on the books and must be enforced'. Unbelievable ...

It got so bad that I could not ride my ski with my then 3 yr old daughter. I talked to the cops and DNR many times, no help at all ... I finally went to a Township board meeting to request THEM to petition the DNR to remove the swan as a menace to the township ... worked like a charm, except the reporters descended on me and I was in newspapers all over the US and into Canada (one paper sold the story and all subsequent updates to the AP Newsire and TONS of papers picked up the bizarre story). As a result of all the press, I did a radio interview with Alan Thicke, and Comedy Central came out and we filmed for a day, then they did a 5 minute spoof on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

I sprayed the swan with Mace, and tried to grab it many times, but it was a chicken and would only attack when people could not see it coming ... classic coward. I wanted to feed it bread laced with LSD or something else that would kill it, but had no sources ... everyone hated this bird and friends in the DNR and cops secretly tried to help me out, but could not get rid of the bird ... it attacked the marine patrol and DNR guys too, but the bureacracy would not support the field agents in getting rid of it until the township petitioned them.

Funny, but the mated pair both got killed shortly before Comedy Central came out to film ... one was strangled, neck broken, and stuffed in a fence, the other was shot with a large caliber gun and displayed spread-eagled on a bridge. They had harassed way too many people for way too long, and somebody apparently was very angry with them ... to this day I don't know who to thank for fixing the problem ...

Just so you don't get the wrong idea of my relationship to nature, my daughter and I always give ALL critters a very wide berth and feed ducks and swans and seagulls from our dock and sometimes off the jetskis. To this day we have a friendly swan pair that come to the cottage to eat corn that we throw them. I have never had any trouble with any other critters since, and still don't know what was wrong with that one idiot ... but many many people have seen the Jon Stewart clip and have come up to me and told me similar stories of swans harassing humans, so there are other vicious swans (and geese) out there ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information