Do trim tabs really work??? '96 Challenger

I saw a post where a fellow with a Sea Rayder said that he put on "Smart Tabs" and they really improved his fuel economy. I was wondering if those things really make a difference. I have a 96 Sea Doo Challenger that has the variable trim adjustment so it seems that you could accomplish trim adjustments with that alone. I'm assuming you would put the bow up if you wanted less water resistance and thus better fuel economy? Or are these tabs really a good thing? Here is link to the photo. Also just curious how something like a '96'ish Sea Rayder 120hp compares to the '96 Challenger 110hp boat? Both about same price.

http://www.jetboat14.com/components/...549c5db6cb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PilotSmith View Post
    I saw a post where a fellow with a Sea Rayder said that he put on "Smart Tabs" and they really improved his fuel economy. I was wondering if those things really make a difference. I have a 96 Sea Doo Challenger that has the variable trim adjustment so it seems that you could accomplish trim adjustments with that alone. I'm assuming you would put the bow up if you wanted less water resistance and thus better fuel economy? Or are these tabs really a good thing? Here is link to the photo. Also just curious how something like a '96'ish Sea Rayder 120hp compares to the '96 Challenger 110hp boat? Both about same price.

http://www.jetboat14.com/components/...549c5db6cb.jpg
    I would not buy them for fuel economy actually I don't believe they would help.
    They would help with getting on plane faster and leveling out the ride if too much weight or wind resistance on one side. They would help to keep the bow in the water and stop porpoising, but I don't see that boat having any of these issues??
    Adjustable trim built in to the Jet??? I would just use that.
    Last edited by Mandoo; 01-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.

edit
    Last edited by Mandoo; 01-30-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: double post

Do these boats take a long time to get to plane when loaded up? I've seen several posts about slow to get to plane. With 2 people in the boat it is about 2 and a half seconds. Is that considered a long time?

i don't know how it is for a Challenger with one 787 engine. My Challenger has twin 787 engine, and when fully loaded with people it takes about 5-10 seconds to get on plane.

What is "fully loaded"? I've only had 2 people total in mine so far (310 lbs) with a full load of fuel of about 170 lbs and planes very quickly. Guess I will have to implement a no fat chicks policy to not bog it down!

Exclamation Time to plane...

Either one of these boats should jump on plane almost immediately.
    1-2 sec. for the little one loaded up. Instantly for the twin under any
    condition.

Took it out yesterday. With 4 skinny people it planed in about 5 seconds despite my buggered up impeller. I found out that I have the Swirl impeller which explains why it planes faster than the stock boats.

MaxMike, are you using the stock impellers? With twin 787's it seems like you should leap out of the water even with a full load. But I guess the stock impellers are not very efficient.

Thread Information