Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you test a oil pump

Hey all, I have 4 pumps, cant get any to work, what is the best way to test a pump, out of the ski. thanks for any imput in advance.

I use a drill! then when I find out they are fine I throw them away and go premix!

So put it on a drill and spin it, with a oil flow going into it gravity feed right? should come spitting out? I have test 4 oil pumps, and cant get anything to come out of the ends. So I dont know if I am doing it wrong. Or if it is possible for 4 oil pumps to be bad right in a row like this??

that works for me! what model pump? and your correct 2 bad in a row would be uncommon let alone 4

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MNAPR View Post
    Hey all, I have 4 pumps, cant get any to work, what is the best way to test a pump, out of the ski. thanks for any imput in advance.
    Have you considered pre-mix? The oil pump area is a risky place to be if your not sure if they are good.I would at least find a good used one off a newer ski with low hours.

Hey Z it is for a 2000 XL800 I have a pump I used from a 800, did not work, so I put on a 1200r pump, which is pretty much the same right, except the bottom angles diffrent, and the extra oil line t's back up into the tank. I go from the oil jug hanging up top, down a line, into the oil pump, which is upside down, I turn the bleeder, let oil drip, then I spin the oil pump with the drill.
    Woody, I agree, premix all day if I was on this one, but this is for a customer who has to have one, and I know everyone has had that argument, but customers always wins. The Pumps I have, go from great looking, to beat up, all diffrent sorts.
    Thanks for the help guys, this thing is killin me

wow they are 240$ new post a wtb someone here will probably have one?
    did u try the drill in both directions?

why are you testing? did the ski have an oil issue?

Z you know how it goes man, buy a ski, and someone has taken parts off of it. This one did have a blown cylinder, because the oil line came off, but the other cylinder was great. So I would think if the oil pump goes bad, then so do both cylinders right? So when I got this ski, I was just gonna sell the parts off. But a buddy of mine wanted to buy it, so I am trying to put it back together again, but the oil pump was missing, along with various nuts and bolts, which I had to pull from my 1200r project. And he wants the oil pump, so I bought one from a guy on the forum, looks great, I dont think he sold me a bad one at all. But I just cant get it to spit oil, which is kind of important in a oil pump.
    Oh and yes, drilled in both directions Thanks
    Last edited by MNAPR; 01-31-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: adding

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Have you considered pre-mix? I would at least find a good used one off a newer ski with low hours.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information