+1

Octane buying tips?

Hi all,

I've been looking to upgrade my standups, and had initially been considering a used Kawi SXR. But they're surprisingly hard to find in clean, unraced condition, and then there's the unresolved NY registration issue. (I'm told you can't register a new one in NY due to emissions? That's what my local dealer told me. Supposedly a used one already registered isn't an issue, but it's still a question)

So I started looking at Octanes last night, but know next to nothing about them. I would have to figure they're as reliable as my 2000 SLX, which has been great. Any concerns with this model? Things to look for? Changes over the model years? Also, any leads on an excellent condition model for sale would be appreciated!

Not looking for a race ski, just a solid, reliable machine for recreational riding with my sons.

Michael

I think the tip is, if you can find one buy it.

Sorry I'm not helping, but they seem to be really sought after. I'm sure there are people here to give you the information you are looking for.
    Last edited by BoostRetard; 01-31-2008 at 10:31 AM.

+1
    I've seen them over at the other site for ALOT of money....but they were heavly modded too

+1
    Well, the price break seems to be less than $1k higher for an Octane over an SXR; but I'm just going on memory here because I have found 4 Octanes for sale currently, but only 1 SXR that hasn't been raced, or that doesn't have "issues". (I define issues as an old post from the seller asking what goo to use when splitting his SXR cases, or something. Not that I'm afraid of a rebuilt ski, but I don't wanna pay top dollar for someone's backyard rebuild! I've already got a couple of those....) My SLX has never had the motor opened, and it's been absolutely reliable. That's what I'm looking for here.

I was looking at SXR's back in Sept and they seemed to be mid $4's.

The Octane ads all seem to start at $6k+, but by page 3 some drop down into the low $5's.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Randy at Watcon.com seems to be an authority on those. Maybe you can call or Email him. He's usually very helpful if he's not busy.

+1
    http://www.seeboldsports.com/default.asp

Give these guys a call...since they are the ones who made the octane for Polaris. I'm sure they could give ya some insight to them and maybe a lead on a good used one. I also know there are some brand new ones still around in private collections/storage.

+1
    Thanks for the posts. I'm hot on the trail of a couple of them right now!

The funny thing is, there's no problem finding them! The SXR seems to be the elsusive one.... And much less desirable, in my opinion. Just another damned Kawi!

What I really need to know is what problems to look for. For example, on my 440 and 5fiddy, gotta look for cracks in the hull at the front hull sides, and the bulkhead. Any particular issues with the Octane?

Also, how the heck do you ship an octane from Washington state to NY? Cost? Time? I'm a big fan of the jetski road trip, but not that far! Certainly not with the cost of diesel these days.....

Michael

+1
    Uh Oh! Just found this on the Polaris website, does this mean they can't be registered?:

NoteThe octance can be sold only to current IJSBA competition members, in the USA, per EPA regulations. See your dealer for details

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Also, how the heck do you ship an octane from Washington state to NY? Cost? Time? I'm a big fan of the jetski road trip, but not that far! Certainly not with the cost of diesel these days.....

Michael
    I have always heard good things about John at Unishippers. I know that Al has used him before and was pleased.

As far as registration goes, call your local license agent (in Ohio the DNR handles boats, not sure if it would be the same for your state.) I am sure they could give you the skinny on if and how to handle the registration.

Another thought; you might try giving Sharp's Marine a call. They are in NY and were a Polaris PWC dealer. They might have some info on where you could find one and how to get one registered.

Thread Information