Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to cross wakes

I have been fiddling with different ways. First I tried to stear my nose to the wake. If I gunned it at the right time the nose would be in the air and the wake go under the boat. But if i miscalculated or had someone on the boat that didn't like me going really fast the first wake would go under the boat but the second wake would go over the bow. and alot of water would come in. Its like a ramp you go up the ramp and the boat is at a 45 degree angle so the wave just goes over easily.

I tried putting the side of the boat near the wake so that the wake hits the side the wave goes up in the air away from the boat and we just roll right over it.

This last option was the dryest option but how dangerous could it be? Could a really big wake tip the boat over?

Any suggestions on how to cross wakes or 2-3 waves?

Cross the wakes about 45 degrees and drive through them about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. They'll feel like little speed bumps and you won't get the big bangs that you do if you go slow or straight on.

Oh I forgot to mention I have the 2007 150 speedster.

Yeah in open area I don't have so much trouble when I am able to go 1/2-3/4 throttle its usually when I am unable to go that fast due to narrow channel or passengers wary of fast speed bursts

Quote Originally Posted by spd5535 View Post
    Cross the wakes about 45 degrees and drive through them about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. They'll feel like little speed bumps and you won't get the big bangs that you do if you go slow or straight on.
    +1

45 degrees is the sweet spot work for all sizes of boats.

head on is real rough and on a big enough wake/wave you'll put your bow under water, trying to cross sideways has the potential to flip your boat over again if the wake/waves big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    Could a really big wake tip the boat over?
    4 or 5 years ago at the Georgian Bay poker run one of the boats was hit by a wave on the side the boat flipped and im not 100% sure but I think the driver was killed or severly injured.

Sideways is definitely unsecure and dangerous...i'd much prefer 90 degree compared to sideways, as far as 45 degree, yes it works fine...i usually gun it....and blast through them at full throttle...hang on tight....if not, then stay on the shore...!

Cross at an angle full throttle getting the boat fully out of the water by at least a few feet and then landing on the downside of the wave on the other side.

Yeah that...! Or better yet...take the whole hull out off the water....and make a huge jump....! Water is for fun inside a jetboat...unless you ride a pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegoski View Post
    Cross at an angle full throttle getting the boat fully out of the water by at least a few feet and then landing on the downside of the wave on the other side.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    I prefer 45' too, mid throttle, crank her to the inside, head forward, then gunner! (Oh!....this is behind my boat not on it! I just felt like posting today, dry land makes me weary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August 2007 057 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	56277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stab (Medium).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	56278  

yea, just go into the wake from an angle, just gradually make ur way into the wake. But then again, with a 15' speedster the littlest wake will seem huge, so just do what ur comfortable doing, but from seeing my dad drive boats for the last 10-15 years, and hes been driving boats since he was like 10, go into the wake from the side on an angle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information