Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to your world

Heys guys,i've just bought my first ski,'02 gp1200r,dont really know alot about them at the moment so any must do basic checks or common faults to look out for would be great!I was told it needs a resray but have taken it work and given it a good polish,looks mint now but have noticed a bolt sheared off on the sponson.Is it safe to drill and tap it or how much of a job is it to replace the backing plate?Also,the ski was left standing for 2mnths with no fuel prior to purchase,i have finally got it starting,took a very long time but any do's and donts when ski's have been stood will also be a great start,thanks.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Forum.

I would check cylinder compression, hook the ski up to a hose, and see if on the inside it's leaking anywhere.. maybe buy like some fuel gas line cleaner stuff that you put into your tank.. that you buy at like a gas station, I put that into my tank when I bought my ski..

If the Stock Intake grate is installed on the ski, you will have to replace that.. there are many posts/threads talking about how unsafe they are. That will be the first thing that you HAVE to do.

Also, if you are going to be running above stock speeds.. it would be a good idea to do a tunnel reinforcement, and you can find info about those on the search..

Good luck, and there are A lot of good guys on this thread that with any problem will guide you through fixing it.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum !

Please excuse HallPass...
    Dont add gas line cleaner.
    There is a very specific procedure for hooking it up to a hose but you dont want to start there. If it is starting now then dont worry about it.

What is a resray ?
    Can you snap a pic of the sponson bolt that snapped off ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Welcome to the Forum !

Please excuse HallPass...
    Dont add gas line cleaner.
    There is a very specific procedure for hooking it up to a hose but you dont want to start there. If it is starting now then dont worry about it.

What is a resray ?
    Can you snap a pic of the sponson bolt that snapped off ?
    what would be the problem of adding gas line cleaner?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    what would be the problem of adding gas line cleaner?
    Some break down the lubrication not to good for the cylinder walls.

+1
    well wait..

then what is bad about running the ski with water also?

I think it would be okay to run it with water.. to see if it runs good, and you could make sure there isn't any problem with a leak or something.. compared to going out on the water and figuring it out there..

+1
    I didnt say anything is wrong with it. Its just that you have to follow the procedure - Start the ski, Turn the water on, Turn the water off, stop the ski.

I have had skis for 6 years and nevery really found a need to run one on the hose (all fresh water).

+1
    Welcome to GH Gaz! You meant "respray" right? If it cleaned up good then it sounds like your set.

Snap a pic of the bolt and post it up. We'll be able to give you a better course of action from there.

More than likely it took awhile to start because there was no fuel in the carbs or the lines. How does it start now? You won't learn much, if anything on the hose. Have you had it in the water yet?

It would be a good idea to consider going through the carbs..If you don't want to tackle it yourself, consider sending them to someone like Carl at Island Racing.
    IMO NEVER run any type of fuel additive to a 2 stroke....

Thanks guys,will post pics of sponson on monday.i haven't had it on the water yet,i've only just bought it and didn't want to run water through it because it kept cutting out,like you say,dry carbs,but it starts first time now and only run it for 30secs at a time.sorry,i meant respray,i still might paint it if i can get hold of the genuine sticker kit.I'm trying to do all this while seeing to family in hospital so time isn't on my side at the moment but cant wait to ride it!nice forum guys!

Welcome to the Board gaz! ...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information