Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stock Scoop Grate Clean Up Mod....

Hi gents......

Here,s another cheap mod, that may add some hook up or speed??
    I will test it as soon as I can...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop grate 002.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	55839

Firstly start by removing the stock intake grate from beneath the ski..this is held in place by six allen bolts, but before it will come free you will have to slice the silicone from around it with a sharp blade...This is a good time to checkout any other exess silicone around that area and remove it..
    Now that you have the grate removed check out any iregularitys such as casting marks, large scratches and ridges....mine was covered in them and this cannot be good for through flow of water thats for sure..........
    Some ridges were that bad that I could sit a one pound coin on them, this concerned both flow directions, so if it were not restricting flow it would add to cavitation i,m sure..

Name:	Scoop grate 003.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	55840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop grate 004.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	55841

Name:	Scoop grate 005.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	55842

Now using something like a small dremmel sander remove the the burrs and ridges.

Name:	Scoop grate 008.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	55843

At this point I also opted to remove the two centre braces and clean them up. I also noticed that the fronts of the bars that approach the water were really pretty thick so I will also be narrowing them down, as my father says 'a sharps knife cuts deeper!!! Simple phisics really.

Name:	Scoop grate 011.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	55844

Part two to follow.....
    Last edited by English Bob; 02-02-2008 at 07:17 PM.

nice project Bob! do you think the center support adds ridigness to the grate? if not then it should smooth out flow nicley.

keep up the great work!

Part two......

Here we go again chaps......

Now what i did next was attack it with an angle grinder to get rid of all the exess material I didn,t want...Then using a small file I got rid of any imperfections caused by my mad 10 mins with the grinder. After that using varying grades of wet and dry sanding paper. (100 grit - 1200 grit). The higher one to finish with.

Name:	Scoop grate 012.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	55848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop grate 014.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	55849

I sanded the grate to as near perfection as I could get it.....

Name:	Scoop grate 016.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	55850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop grate 018.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	55851

Name:	Scoop grate 017.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	55852 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop grate 019.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	55853

Whilst I had the grate removed I checked out the state of the impellor, which luck would have it was fine.
    I then refitted the grate using fresh locktight on the bolts applied new silicone, much more carefully than the factory chimps....

Will test as soon as poss and post results.....good or bad!!
    Pretty much a free mod appart from the big pot of elbow grease!!

Thankyou for listening and see yawl soon...at least I think thats how ya say it......
    Last edited by English Bob; 02-02-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madss View Post
    nice project Bob! do you think the center support adds ridigness to the grate? if not then it should smooth out flow nicley.

keep up the great work!
    Possibly,....but I,ve left a fair bit of meat on the fin itself and only thinned out the first 10 - 15 mm for the knife edge effect. Also if this don,t work I,ve already got me hands on a spare stock one....

0.? mph increase????.. worth a try at these costs....

...cheers...
    Last edited by English Bob; 02-02-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Don't forget your powdercoating:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=28222&page=5

I left the center rods intact

english bobb
    i did this mod a while ago only i removed the whole centre bar it gave me much better hook up but i lost 300rpm and about a mile an hour top speed i would be interested to know if you found the same with yours or weather i went to far with mine and now i,m over loading the pump your input would be appreciated
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by aussi 250x View Post
    english bobb
    i did this mod a while ago only i removed the whole centre bar it gave me much better hook up but i lost 300rpm and about a mile an hour top speed i would be interested to know if you found the same with yours or weather i went to far with mine and now i,m over loading the pump your input would be appreciated
    rob
    I guess ya wen,t to far mate... no drop in RPM,s but do have better hook up though....have yet to check out top end gains as batterries were flat on radar gun....I guess I must have left it on in the case..

Quote Originally Posted by English Bob View Post
    I guess ya wen,t to far mate... no drop in RPM,s but do have better hook up though....have yet to check out top end gains as batterries were flat on radar gun....I guess I must have left it on in the case..
    Just for you Beags...ya must av missed it!!!! Alright i,ll let ya know at the weekend about the top end situation, batteries fully charged..
    Last edited by English Bob; 02-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.

+1
    Hi English Bob, I have done the same thing to my stock grate, it works better than the two after market ones I also have. We have two 250s so we test each part by swapping things from ski to ski. A quick sum up of grates is like this: R&D robs top end on flat water, and NO better hook up in chop to real rough (I stand rooted on that finding) also the R&D give slight prop slip on a hard left hand corner in cc race conditions (in both skis). The new worx top loader had almost the same result, in fact the second 250 running stock intake mod like yours pulled past mine running the worx grate in the chop last weekend.
    Last edited by fussy1; 02-09-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post
    Hi English Bob, I have done the same thing to my stock grate, it works better than the two after market ones I also have. We have two 250s so we test each part by swapping things from ski to ski. A quick sum up of grates is like this: R&D robs top end on flat water, and NO better hook up in chop to real rough (I stand rooted on that finding) also the R&D give slight prop slip on a hard left hand corner in cc race conditions (in both skis). The new worx top loader had almost the same result, in fact the second 250 running stock intake mod like yours pulled past mine running the worx grate in the chop last weekend.
    Fussy....jetrob and i Hooked up on this site about christmas time and what it,s done has given us the chance to do some great comparisums as we only live about 40 mins from each other. We found that the solas prop was poor compared to the stock one. Less accelaration and top end. Also that the riva grate does increase propspin makin the ski hit the limiter, especially from lefthanders. Again robbing accceleration and top end, most noticable in the tighter area,s of the close course. Here,s to many more days of testing with Jetbob and his ski, also to sharing these findings with others...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information