GTX SC Removal - Stubborn SC

Hey all - got the 3 SC mounting bolts out -- the SC is not moving at all -- tight as can be - like it is still bolted. I did get the right bolts out so that isn't the problem... also read Sean's great post on RXP SC removal.

I just want to get some advice before I do something stupid - like damage the shaft or drive gear by trying to pound it out.

Any advice on how to get it out without damaging it?

If...you're sure you got the right bolts out, just put a long screw driver between the sc and the block...pry enough to push the sc back. When it budges...even a little...I just use my hands. No damage done.

I'm gonna guess that you really don't have the right bolts out. On all of them I've done (4) as soon as I loosen the third bolt the sc will rock back and forth with very little effort.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    very very very common... i deal with it on a weekly basis during the peak season when skis blow superchargers

dead blow hammer...
    pry bars...

worst case scenario so far has been having to remove the motor just to be able to have batter access to prying and heating and pounding the daylights out of the SC housing.

and it seems pretty constistant that 03 and 04 GTX SC sis give the most problems with this exact scenario... it downright sucks...

keep spraying stuff down there, put the end of a hammer into the supercharger outlet, it gives you leverage to try to work it back and forth a litle bit... ur main goal is is just trying to get it to turn in place at this point... forget trying to pull it out, it aint coming out until it breaks loose and ur able to spray enough chit down there to be able to comfortable work it back and forth.

in short.... good luck... i dont want to say it's "normal"... but it's normal!! ur not the only one that has encountered this... i been thru it about 6-8 times and the second i get those bolts loose and find that the SC is frozen in the PTO i throw the tools in the footwell and wait for a day i have more patience, or i tell one of my co-workers to go to town on it bc i quit working on that ski, haha...

Shibby, did '03 & '04 SCs have anti-seize on them when you finally got them out? I know you're supposed to put some on when reinstalling the SC.... Ron

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Hi Ron...

most of the skis are globbered with that blue type of grease that seadoo uses on the SC back housing... u usually see it all smothered and packed between the cases and the SC housing...

this wasn't the case with all the ones that are stuck... whether it was neglected to be properly greased / anti-seized at the factory or whether it was just all washed away i couldn't say... obviously this is on skis where the SC has never been removed in 3 years or so and we go to remove them for the first time and they are frozen in there... i'd have to say most likely it was a decision by seadoo at a lter time to start putting a different type of product on there bc that stuff was never used in the early years of the SC skis...

Thanks Shib. I've never had mine off yet but am thinking of doing the washer/wheel replacement before spring, and it's an '03... Ron

Thread Information