Thread: Snorkeling Set

Snorkeling Set

are there any enthousiasts in our forum who like to snorkel??

I am looking around for a complete snorkeling set to buy.not looking for anything proffessional but definetly good quality,i did lots of searches on google and e-bay and wanted your take on these.

what to look for like the tube,mask,and flippers??

not looking to spend $$ just for hobby not pro.

fit of mask comfort for example?
    tuba with valve or ball?
    flippers with strap or full?

my weight is 140 lbs,small to medium face,shoe size 8 1/2 usa

any help would be great for guidance and links apreciated also

+1
    I don't snorkel but I do dive. I have always used strapped fins with booties. The last time I usd full fin was during my basic diving class, I will never use full fins again they rubbed raw spots in my ankle, this goes the same with strap fins without booties. The snorkel should have a valve at the bottom where the mouth piece connects, the others with a ball at the top is just for looks, save your money. The mask should be your hardest purchurse, have a dive shop help you, just make sure it's a good quality mask. The mask is the only piece of equipment I would recommend to buy from a dive shop, but fins and snorkel can be purchased online.

Check out LeisurePro.com

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^ When it comes to a mask you need one that will fit YOUR face. To do this you will need to go somewhere that you can get fitted. As every mask and every face is diffrent. If you do not then you will have a mask that will leak. There is nothing more anoying than a leaking mask, also over tightning the straps on a mask will not keep the water out. A scuba shop profrosinal is your best bet. A good fitting/quality full foot fins will not rub and cause blisters. But depending on your enviroment you may want to go with the booties and straps. As I used to teach Scuba, I have both types of fins. I used the full foot fins for boat diving in warm waters, and the open heal fins for shore diving and cold water.

THANKS GUYS thats is good to know so a full package is out unless it fits properly and i will go to a dive shop first as you guys suggested.

so no go for the ball thing a good valve one is better and not just for looks.

i will use this only on occassions so maybe i could use the straped fins with my sea-doo socks will that work for no blister?

Yup, stay away from balls, a purge valve down low near the mouthpiece will help, but the balls are a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    ...A good fitting/quality full foot fins will not rub and cause blisters. But depending on your enviroment you may want to go with the booties and straps. As I used to teach Scuba, I have both types of fins. I used the full foot fins for boat diving in warm waters, and the open heal fins for shore diving and cold water.
    I do a lot of cold water swimming with fins and I agree with these comments. I know those full foot fins work for many but I always had trouble getting a pair to fit right, esp in a reas price range, even though they seem more convenient. The straps allow me to adjust for a variety of footwear, from neoprene water sox to full blown boots. I dont like any slop in the heel which is why I prefer the fully adjustable straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I do a lot of cold water swimming with fins and I agree with these comments. I know those full foot fins work for many but I always had trouble getting a pair to fit right, esp in a reas price range, even though they seem more convenient. The straps allow me to adjust for a variety of footwear, from neoprene water sox to full blown boots. I dont like any slop in the heel which is why I prefer the fully adjustable straps.
    much apreciated guys iknew nothing about these but now im more educated and have a pretty good idea went shoping already on saturday with the misses no success its out of the season up here.

+1
    When snorkling, I found a full foot fin to work the best because you don't need the level of thrust that you need for tank diving. Get the self purging snorkel that has a chamber under the mouthpeice. And everybody is right about the mask, make sure it fit's right by putting on you face without using the strap and create a vacuum, if it stays on your face it's a keeper, if not, try another one. Don't forget your dive flag!

Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    When snorkling, I found a full foot fin to work the best because you don't need the level of thrust that you need for tank diving. Get the self purging snorkel that has a chamber under the mouthpeice. And everybody is right about the mask, make sure it fit's right by putting on you face without using the strap and create a vacuum, if it stays on your face it's a keeper, if not, try another one. Don't forget your dive flag!
    tuba with a chamber also thanks

Thread Information