Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

900 STX Questions

Hey everyone, I think this may be one of my first posts. Anyway I have a few questions. I reciently acquired a fix-r-upper jet ski and I am pretty sure it is a 900 STX. I am not sure of the year. It is yellow with a silver seat, reverse, with a multi fuction display. It only has 34 hours on it. I can take a pic if it would help identify it. I have the vin but when I enter it into kawasaki's website it does not find it.

I hooked my jumper cables up to the battery cables and then to my car battery while it was running. I do not have a jet ski battery at the moment, so I figured this would at least make it click or turnover or something. I hit the button and nothing happens. The display lights up and the magnetic key is in the on position (I took the little magnets out so I can turn it off and on without the key now). I am thinking it could be the switch or the starter. This ski looks like it's been sitting outside for a while now. I hope this forum helps me get it going.

Thanks
    jclaudii

Welcome to the Hulk!!

Have you taken out the spark plugs and tried to roll it over by hand?

Is the lanyand in?

I have not taken the plugs out to see if I can turn by hand, but I am going to ASAP. Also, I a pair of pliars pushed up under where the lanyard goes. So I'm pretty sure the kill sitch was in the "armed" position. I am leaning towards a starter switch problem or relay somewhere because I thought the thing would still draw amps if the starter or engine was locked. I'll let you know what I find. I'm also going to fog the cylinders to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know how it goes.

+1
    It should be a 99 with those colors. Make sure it turns by hand. If the display is on then the lanyard was at least in the right position for a little bit. You need to get a battery so I is getting the right amount of cranking amps, the car battery is not good for it. Let us know what happens. I've been been tinkering with my friends for a few years now so if you have anymore questions just ask.

It's been crazy weather here in central arkansas (actually Atkins) so I have not had a chance to check those things out yet. I did get the vin number on it KAW28188b000. I think this may be a 2000 model but I am still unsure.

The only jet ski's I have messed around with are Polaris 750 sl and a kawasaki 650 X2. How good is this ski compared to some of the others out there? Since it's been sitting a while I may go ahead and pull the carbs and clean out the crappy fuel. Also, Do I need to get new oil or is the oil that's been in it fine?

I hope to get lots of great info from "the hulk" here.

+1
    It is a 2000 then. Should run about the same as the sl750 speed wise, somewhere around 48 mph. It handles smooth and is a lot of fun. I would put fresh oil and fas in it for sure. The carbs will prob need cleaned but nothing more, they are bullet proof. Anything you need just let us know

Hey everyone I got it running, at least running by pouring gas down the carbs. It doesn ot seem to be picking fuel up for some reason. I have started it several times and I never see the fuel in the clear fuel filter get fuller. I'm pretty exctited about getting it running at least.

Say if I wanted to let it idle for a bit once I get it running by picking fuel up where do I hook the hose up for cooling? I see this rubber "plug" on top of the exhaust manifold loop (right where the hose goes from the head to the exhaust) and It looks like where you would hook a hose to "flush" and to run the system without it being in the water. I'm working on it today b/c the water is great!

anyone have any refrences on how the fuel pump woks on this thing? Thanks.

Don't run that thing like that. Running lean will ruin the top end.

Do a compression check first. It would be a good indicator of engine health.

The fuel pump works from a pulse from one of the cylinders. I would check/clean the entire fuel system playing special attention to the carbs. Make sure that the pulse line coming from the block to the carb/fuel pump is connected and in good shape.

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the carbs apart and there was no fuel in the carbs, that could be both good and bad. The needle and seats workfine and the diaphram was in good shape. The jets look clean...Like very clean. These Kehin carbs have a filter screen on the bottom of the seat and even that look very clean. To me it looks like it just isn't getting fuel to the carbs. I figured after a few primes it would "pick up" the fuel. The line from the crank to the fuel pump pulse was clear and in good shape because I could blow into the line into the crankcase. When I took the fuel pump apart the diaphrams in there look good, the fuel sides had a little gummy color, but I wd40 them and wiped off as much as I could. The little plastic/metal one way reed valvs in the fuel pump looked good too.

I'm just stumped. I got a polaris sl 750 and it has fuel pump problmes. Before we knew about the fuel pump problems, I think it may have been running lean and burnt a hole in #3. I have yet to take it down and look into it. I guess I'll figure it out soon. especially with the help of this board!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information