Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Where's the home Network Gurus?

Cable modem through Optimum Online here in NY. have had it for about 8 years now. I started off with a wired network with a Linksys 4-port router. Then i got a wireless Router with 4 ports.

lately, things just don't function properly. Always losing internet, getting slowed up... continuously need to pull the plug on modem and router and let it all restart and it works.... for a few hours, sometimes a few days, maybe a week at times!

seems the chaos mostly starts when my brother comes home with his laptop and uses the wireless.... but tonight it was chaotic and i get fed up. internet was slow as balls, losing signals and service even on the hardwired computers.

so now i ran it straght from the cable modem and to my computer.... no routers or other computers currently online. it's fast as heck and SO FAR i got good service for the past half hour.

what gives? i never pursued learning all the network stuff, but i used to be into it when i was in high school, lost interest in computers. Seems the router / configuration isn't right somewhere since it works perfect direct to modem, but the router causes chaos, slow service, and no service. I'm even getting "IP conflict" messages sporadically every few days.

any suggetions? if i gotta start over and re-wire the house i don't really care... i'm a master at snaking wires and crawling around across the beams in the attick and thru the floors and walls of the basement.

If you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone and a 802.11g router, they sit on the same band and can cause interference.

I'd start with the duped IP conflict.

Are you running DHCP on all your computer or do you have them static ?

Also is your wireless secure ? You could have people piggy backing off it and killing your connection.

you can use pcpitstop.com or testmyspeed.com to test your upload/download.

You can always use a trace route to find where your network is lagging.
    tracert greenhulk.net
    See which hop is getting the highest latency (highest ms)

do you have any peer to peer software running ?
    Might want to check the other computer. You can use adaware to see if any programs are using your bandwith.

802.11g can see interference from 2.4phones, microwaves, other wireless access points on the same channel. It can even see interference from incadecent lights. Also if you have any x10 video feeds it can kill wireless.
    802.11a doesn't have much out there for interference.

I run 802.11g and just use the old 900mhz phones. You can also use netsumbler.com to see if there is any other access points around you interfering.

I do cisco wireless/router installs for a living
    CCNA certified but I'm sure there are some CCNP's around here. ....still studying

+1
    My speed is: 1150.3 Kbps That is without a router or anything... straight computer to modem

i believe i have a Linksys wireless B

no my network is not secure, i don't know if it's DHCP or whatever... pretty sure it is becuase i know it's NOT static.

i took the router out of the box when new, plugged it in, it worked... and haven't touched it in years. past 6 months - 1 year it gives sporadic lag and disconnections... but now it's just unbearable

Start simple Shibby, go to the website, and download the newest firmware for that router. Flash it, and see how that does. One other thing to consider is someone leeching off your your wireless, do you have WEP Enabled? Someone might be chewing up all of your bandwidth if you don't. Also, make sure that all your PC's have the newest firmware or drivers for the Network Cards. But since it is all PC's having issues thta is not the problem, but it never hurts. I am willing to bet if you flash it, and make sure WEP is enabled you will be back to normal.

Just reread everything. Enable WEP also, someone is probably using your connection.

+1
    no WEP enabled... nothing has been flashed or upgraded in yearssss, lol.

thanks for the advice thus far... i will start attacking some of these aspects tomorrow and see if i have any better luck

the neighbors must be lovin gettin free wireless internet from me huh?

Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals
    lol @ kinchyle talking about using netstumbler. Why dont you go ahead and set your wireless card to promiscuous mode and see what kind of encryption your neighbors are using.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Just buy a new router. I have had two Linksys routers die in the past. On one the wireless quit working. On the other it wont assign ip addresses, I use it as a wireless access point to my network. Upgrade to a wireless g router. More than likely, its a firmware problem. For $65 a new router is the easiest option without someone knowledgable to troubleshoot your problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information