Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

158 Degree thermo?

Thinking about installing the 158 degree thermostat, is there any benefit when using the stock ECU?

Why is the RR thermostat so much more than the riva thermostat?

Riva or RR?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Thinking about installing the 158 degree thermostat, is there any benefit when using the stock ECU?

Why is the RR thermostat so much more than the riva thermostat?

Riva or RR?
    If you ride in hot climate or will do any mods I would recommend it.
    The riva kit uses the stock thermostat housing and you just replace the thermostat with the 158 thermostat using the tool they provide.

The Rotax kit is the complete thermostat, housing and all. It's just a bolt on.
    My friends have done both ways and they work fiine. If you like to tinker get the riva, if you like bolt on get the RR.

Also do a search on here for a do-it-yourself mod using the stock housing and a Merc Marine 160 thermostat. That's the cheapest method and fairly easy to do.

Bama, the RR therm is def a +,
    even if riding in 80` and 90`s temps will reduce engine operating temps thus helping prevent detonation/pinging. As Larry said, there are members who have used both the Riva and RR, and even did their own mod, but as suggested if you want to bolt and run go with the RR. Make sure you have the hose orientation correctly, this is a must!... take a picture for reference or search the forum for details...PR...

Banned User
    +1
    I run the Rotax unit...keeps it all cool.

+1
    Well it looks like I came up with something else to do while I wait on warm weather and higher water levels and I need to change the anti-freeze anyway. I think I will get the riva kit because I have more time than money. Any comments on the Riva kit? Good, Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Well it looks like I came up with something else to do while I wait on warm weather and higher water levels and I need to change the anti-freeze anyway. I think I will get the riva kit because I have more time than money. Any comments on the Riva kit? Good, Bad?
    My friend ATC2006 just installed the Riva. He thought it was easy. Order from Jerry, but look on the riva site and you'll find the instructions to install. They show using a press to cut the tabs and pull the old one out but a 2x4 and hammer are all that's needed. Like Andy said, be sure to note the hose positions and take your time. It's a little tough to get down to it and get the hoses and bolts off/on. Get some stainless hose clamps to replace the stock ones that have to be cut off and you'll need a T-8 socket.

and to add to Larry`s reccomendation, a 1/4 drive swivel, 4" and 6" extension work well...PR...

note* one of the reason I personally like the RR is bc it is a complete unit, and you have your stocker in case of whatever...

FYI the new RR thermostats have an even lower temp . they rate them now at 50 degrees celsius instead of 70. better temp control i am told.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotax racing View Post
    FYI the new RR thermostats have an even lower temp . they rate them now at 50 degrees celsius instead of 70. better temp control i am told.

What temp is that? 50x1.92+32= 132????

50 degrees C = 122 degrees F

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information