Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

What does the water stainer protect(motor,intercooler,ect)

I've seen and heard to put a water strainer on intercooled seadoos. Does it only protect the intercooler or the whole water system from trash? Not that it matters. I don't want anything going into the intercooler or anthing else. I just had to ask. It makes sense to have this on the skis from the factory, but I guess cost is always a factor. Anyways this is more for general knowledge and may help anyone that is second guessing to install the strainer. Thanks for any info.

It protects the intercooler. The engine cooling is closed system. It uses coolant like car does and exchanges heat through the rideplate.

as stated above, AND anyone running an aftermarket IC should install a water strainer. The groco-WSB750 is the ticket found right here in the 4-Tec online store...PR...

+1
    Thanks for the info. I never would have thought the rider plate was a heat exchanger. Ordering the strainers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by f150vtx View Post
    Thanks for the info. I never would have thought the rider plate was a heat exchanger. Ordering the strainers right now.
    cool!

you only need one strainer inline with the pump output/pressure hose

pump > strainer > IC> exhaust manifold...PR...

+1
    Probably a dumb question but here it goes - it read above that you need or should get a strainer with an aftermarket intercooler...is that dumb in assuming that you don't need one with the stock one?

+1
    I ask this question only because I read some where that it is a good idea to have one period. I only wanted to know what parts of the cooling system it protected. I'm not a expert, but I am soking up as much info as possible. I saw a post about a guy that always sucked up trash and need to install the strainer. It is a small price to pay. I just bought two of these for my RXTs from 4tec. Member get a discount, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    Probably a dumb question but here it goes - it read above that you need or should get a strainer with an aftermarket intercooler...is that dumb in assuming that you don't need one with the stock one?
    I have heard of stock IC`s getting clogged but haven`t experienced that myself. The passages/tubes are larger than in the Vortech core. But you have to take your riding area into consideration, eel grass, sea weed, leaves, vegitation, sandy ocean salt water use. I was really surprised to see the junk that the strainer cup had captured.

I`m sure there are more opinions out here, but I would say it isn`t hard-pressed to install one on a stock IC`d ski that gets flushed after every use. It`s a good idea, another form of insurance to not cause an over heat condition from a clogged IC...PR...

+1
    How often do you need to clean the strain out? I live down here in florida and we have everything you could imagine in the water.

+1
    Well it's definitely affordable and probably dumb not to get one and protect your investment - especially the X model as that might be considered like an aftermarket. I take it there's not a significant loss in flow that would upset any performance with this set up?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information