Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT-X intake grate question

Maybe I was misunderstood the last time I asked this question, so let me rephrase.

Is the RXT-X's intake grate the same size/length/configuration as the current RXT Riva grate?

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Maybe I was misunderstood the last time I asked this question, so let me rephrase.

Is the RXT-X's intake grate the same size/length/configuration as the current RXT Riva grate?
    Yes

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar

not quite, the Riva grate's scoop isn't as steep and the bolt pattern is different, I think

1 yes
    1 no
    1 not quite

hmph
    Last edited by VaRedneck; 02-05-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    ...Is the RXT-X's intake grate the same size/length/configuration as the current RXT Riva grate?
    It is the same size; it is the same length. However, it does not have the same configuration. The aft bolt pattern is now the same as the '04-'07 RXP. This allows it to bolt up to the set-back style pump support (shoe) that is used in the RXP, and now the RXT.

Also the aft "scoop" on the grate is no longer a bevel, it is rounded like the leading edge of an aircraft wing... actually makes sense when you think about it.

BTW, the aft "scoop" reference pertains to the one built into the aft mounting plate, NOT the one found in the center of the grate
    Last edited by 05Limited; 02-05-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    It is the same size; it is the same length. However, it does not have the same configuration. The aft bolt pattern is now the same as the '04-'07 RXP. This allows it to bolt up to the set-back style pump support (shoe) that is used in the RXP, and now the RXT.

Also the aft "scoop" on the grate is no longer a bevel, it is rounded like the leading edge of an aircraft wing... actually makes sense when you think about it.
    Why? Does it provide lift?

+1
    Why? Does it provide lift?
    LOL... we could all get rid of our skegs.

Actually, water has always had a hard time deciding which way to go when you try and separate it with a sharp edge... turbulence is created. A rounded leading edge allows for a subtle "departing of the ways", so to speak... less turbulence, less drag, more water processed.

Well....I know air and water don't always behave...have the same characteristics but....the SR-71, I don't believe has a rounded leading edge....anywhere...to include the jet intakes.

But all that aside...

Here's why I asked this topics question in the first place.

It's been said that removing the "wings" on the -X's intake is a 3mph improvement.

If that's the case with the X's...why isn't it the same with the older T's and P's?

Hmmm, I've never seen an SR-71 in the water
    I used to race sailboats, we always rounded the front of the rudders and sharpened the rear edge. You could actually hear the difference. Stock rudders with the edges all wrong cavitated and vibrated at high speeds. After rounding the front edges and sharpening the rear edge, they went smoothly thru the water.

+1
    You bring up a good point about the Blackbird, but hydrodynamics is ten fold more "dynamic" than aerodynamics... and we are taking mach 4+ with the SR

But back to the grate. The Riva has what is probably the best compromise "scoop" to help process water without causing undue drag. The RXT/P-X grate has a HUGE scoop grate... most likely overkill for top speed buffs. And speaking of "Buffs", the B-52 does have a rounded leading edge... but then again it is subsonic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information