Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

750 Parts cleaning

I have my 750 engine apart and found MUCH debris inside. Mostly in the pocket that houses the oil pump gear. I've cleaned the cases with heavy duty degreaser and water. Since it is non rusting I didn't think that would be an issue but I need to clean the crank and bearings to remove any stuff that may be lurking in there.

What is the best way to clean the crank and should I grease or oil the bearings before reassembly?

Anything I need to do while she is apart or just clean and reassemble?

What sealant should I use on the cases when I put it back together?
    It had some gray colored silicone when I took it apart.

Thanks in advance,

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Maybe use carb cleaner and then WD40 can be used as a cleaner also, won't rust any parts and will keep them lubed.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Watcon highly recommends 3 Bond 1211 sealant. I used 2 stroke oil to squirt on bearings during assyembly. When ya get the case put back together, also squirt oil down in the small holes on the case on both sides of the crank opening before the cylinders are re-installed.

Great Idea Nut. I used the WD-40 as a cleaner to flush out the debris. The bearing on the pto side of the oil pump gear was full of aluminum chips and flakes and was catchy when it spun but a full can of WD 40 later it spins smooth and free. I did have to prop the crank up at an angle to get the junk to drain out but it worked like a charm.

Starflight, Is that 3 bond 1211 sealant for the case halves available at any part supply store or some kind of special sealant that I will need to order?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I haven't seen it anywhere locally, but [email protected] can get it to ya quickly. He said you can use the stuff for the cylinder base seal instead of base gaskets if ya want to reduce the squish clearance and increase compression .

post some pics if you can, i have some GREAT carnage shots of rusted cranks and rods and all kinds of nastiness. I will show you mine if you show me yours!!!

Will get pic's as soon as my camera gets back home from dance.

1stpolaris. I have been putting 2 stroke engines together for years using Loctite 515 (purple jelly). Never had a problem. Permatex has an equivelent simply named Anaerobic Flange Sealant. Anaerobic meaning it cures in the absence of oxygen. Available at any local hardware store with automotive product. Just make sure the surfaces are clean of oil and grease and apply a constant bead. 3 bond is great stuff as well but not nice to clean off next time. The ulimate is probably Yamabond (available from yes you guessed it, Yamaha)but really not nice to clean off next time.

case damage

Thanks for the heads up on the sealant jewraffe I'm not sure which way to go as yet but easier to remove next time sounds good just in case I have an air leak the first time around.

Here are a couple shots of the crank case damage from bearing needles being slung and dragged around by the crank shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2025.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	56750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	56751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2027.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	56752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2028.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	56753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2029.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	56754  

I may have you beat.......cant even get the piston pin out of this one.......

the front 2 are both like this, think there was water in it? Guy before me had it for 2 weeks, guy who sold it to him said it was a fresh rebuild, but unfortunately factory spec gaskets were not used and carbs were not tuned right and pop goes the piston and jug gaskets, in comes the saltwater and aluminum shavings....OUCH

I will stop thread jacking now , good luck with your rebuild!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information