Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GTX HELP

+1

GTX HELP

A buddy of mine brought over his 04 GTX and said, " make it faster " Help me out guys, where do i start?

Quote Originally Posted by IEGPR View Post
    A buddy of mine brought over his 04 GTX and said, " make it faster " Help me out guys, where do i start?
    I can say that these mods are all over the board. Use the search for almost anything and you can pick and choose. But, a few important questions before the facts, myths and opinions start to roll in.
    What are his realistic goals?
    How much does he want to spend?
    screaming acceleration or top speed?

I can tell you first hand that it`s major greenola to get the GTX to nearly perform like the RXT, so what kind of improvements is he looking for?...PR...

+1
    you can read my thread "tested new mods with good results" and see what I have done to my gtx. I will say that it has taken alot of work to get my ski to 67 mph. with keeping the stock ecu of 7,650 rpm, i think that your highest potential top speed will be somewhere arround 70 mph. You would have to add ic and up the boost with different charger which inturn requires many other mods, such as prop and possibly new pump. If you want to go faster than 70 I think you will have to change the ecu. Then you would be looking at different gear on SC and other mods needed. It would get very costly.

You need to test and baseline the ski with gps. Then like PR said decide what your looking for in performance and then look here to see what mods are doing and then you will have a good idea on cost.
    Last edited by skoepp; 02-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.

I`d be surprised to see getting 70 with stock ecu, or without fuel reg/pump upgrade. You push more boost your going to need more fuel...

RPM = speed...PR...

quite a few GTX guru`s here:
    Red Devil
    Two2curupt
    Shibbs
    and more...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 02-07-2008 at 05:55 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I`d be surprised to see getting 70 with stock ecu, or without fuel reg/pump upgrade. You push more boost your going to need more fuel...

RPM = speed...PR...

that is possibly correct. I will know soon as I am adding the xsic this weekend and I will test with no other changes. I hope it will gain me some rpm and then I will be able to put some pitch back in the prop.

Once I get my rude charge and rude fuel reg I will put my stock injectors back in my rxp. I plan to then put the 42's and S3 with gtx gear on my gtx. I will also have to upgrade the fuel pressure regulator to the 58 psi.
    I assume that with those mods I might be overpowering the 13/20. If that happens I will have to go with new pump and shaft so I can access some different props.
    After all that we will know how fast a 185hp ecu will allow us to go.

+1
    if he seriously wants to go faster, and is willing to spend the money, the best money to spend is to upgrade to a RXT or RXP.
    you will spend just as much (if not more) on mods, and still not be as fast as a 215 hp model is stock.
    if he wants a little bit of improvement and spend a little money, then get a few mods for the GTX.
    make a 4" front air intake
    upgrade his pump to aluminum if it isnt already
    get a solas impeller 12/20 and get it pitched to keep the rpms at 7600
    OPAS blockoffs
    you can do this all for less than $500 if you know what you are doing. anything more will be alot more expensive and better off getting a 215hp ski.

Quote Originally Posted by IEGPR View Post
    Here's my take, and I am an 04 GTX owner.....I love my GTX and what it will do, but it takes a "TON" of cash to get it to a certain performance/reliability level. You can easily spend a couple of hundred dollars to a grand to gain a few miles an hour but the more you mod the more of a money pit it will turn into when it comes to reliability and handling the mods. If he is truly into speed, get rid of the GTX now and start with a 215hp platform. By the time you drop the cash into it to make it equal in reliability and performance as an RXT, you will be ahead of the game after you count the loss in a sale of the GTX.

check out my thread 03 gtx sleeper i had gps runs at 69.3, 68.9, 68.8, 68.7 & so on we built up my 185 to a 215 motor less pistions & cam with a stage I and rr s/c fan. we put the 215 cam in but lost rpm and speed so the came came back out. she still had the power loss it was a i/c problem which we fix so we'll try the 215 cam again. now most of the parts were bought used & yes i still could have sold it and bought a rxt for about the same price but like i've said before i like the 03 yellow. this year the 215 forged pistions r going in i think it'll hit 70 this year with the cam and pistions.

Stay out the money pit.

Life`s lessons:
    after all was said and done with the GTX, I was quite relieved to have the ski nearly back to stock, with the exception of steels, upgraded shaft, sponsons, and having 2 pump set-ups. I just enjoyed being out on the water even with the 185HP GTX hangin with buds!
    sometimes you just have to appreciate and accept just what the 185HP GTX is . It is not a bad ride at all, and alot of us had fun while modding as well!...

now there are more powerful, quicker accelerating machines out here, and IMHO the stock or modded GTX simply cannot compete...PR...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information