Thread: Riva Stage One

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar

Riva Stage One

I do not have to much experience in modding these watercraft. I know my way around car engines, but not on these machines. What tools and knowledge would I need to put a stage one kit on an RXT. What is required to change the impeller and to install a wedge. I am asking this because you guys all have a vast wealth of knowledge and I would like to know if a stage one is feasible for me to install myself. Thanks alot guys!

Stage one

type in a search for each mod you are doing and you will find a TON of information on the install. To remove the stock impeller you remove the entire pump assembly and to get the impeller out you buy a removal tool in the online store (not expensive at all). Stage one is pretty simple on the parts. Once you dig in and follow instructions, you will start to know your away around the engine more and more. I am a car guy and just dug in to my ski and asked a few questions, and I get better every day.

Good luck

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SearayEX12 View Post
    I do not have to much experience in modding these watercraft. I know my way around car engines, but not on these machines. What tools and knowledge would I need to put a stage one kit on an RXT. What is required to change the impeller and to install a wedge. I am asking this because you guys all have a vast wealth of knowledge and I would like to know if a stage one is feasible for me to install myself. Thanks alot guys!

If you can change a tire on a car, you can install a wedge...

First things first, hit this thread and read it first...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16773

Focus on Vern's post #2, his layout can show you what you want to THINK about...

Start by laying out a goal for yourself, where you would like to see your ski in the next few months...because once you start to upgrade, how easy some stuff is, plus their impact....combined with this forum, you'll surprise yourself...

You don't have to do a kit all in one shot, you can slowly step up and put in individual components as you go....Some individual items can benefit you more than the kits can, and the right combination of items can be better than kits overall...

Example....Lets say you plan to upgrade your ski to a Stage 1, but by end of summer might want to be close to a Stage 2...The Riva Power Air Filter is used on both setups, BUT, people on this forum don't always run it when they get into Stage 2-3 area. They run either the Riva Rear Intake, or a custom KanaFlex setup, because both offer more air and can offer more performance...

Another example is exhaust...If your gonna opt for the standard thru-hull, but retain the stock box, for just a little more you'll get more performance out of a GreenBox....

Pick and choose, read and compare, and most imporant...USE THE SEARCH FEATURE....

--Danny

+1
    Searay,
    I never put a wrench to one till last summer. I have always worked on cars, motorcycles and ATV's and a pwc is no sweat. Do some home work in the how to section and it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I had to buy was an impeller toole and a 12mm allen wrench, Jerry sells the impeller toole in his store for less rthan $20. For the stage one kit you only need some meteric allen wrenches, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm sockets, a long extension and a ratchet. aword of advice dont over tighten anything the torque specifications are less than you would think.

so what are some general thoughts on choosing between riva and say RR? Who does what better than the other i guess

RR and Rotax Racing

I am pretty new to this, but I read a lot on here and from MOST (not all) of the things I have read lean toward Riva. The IC and more. I like to use Riva, customer service is great and the Hulk is pretty close knit with them...so discounts and reliability....

JMO

Couple of important tools needed for Stage 1:

12MM hex key & a piece of pipe to use for leverage.
    Rubber Mallet to get the nose cone off the venturi
    Pick up the seadoo sockets from Jerry's store.
    Prop removal tool & Vise
    Long Extension for the socket wrench for working around the pump.
    Lots of patience.
    Find and hire a little dwarf to crawl under the engine inside the hull to help with the mounting bracket for the front air intake.

I also took a tip from JFizzle. When you take your seat cowling off, go around the entire inside edge with duct tape. It save you from getting the fiberglass all over your arms.

Thread Information