+1

Opinion on hull problem

Hi I own an 1997 yamaha gp1200. I had a problem with the hull. It was cracking due to the weight of the fuel tank, especialy when full it tends to put a lot of stress on the straps and doing that it was having a bad effect on the hull. I fixed the crack with fiberglasscloth and expoy resin (hell of a job) But now I want to avoid it happening again. I was thinking placing to stainless steel plates or brackest between the two points where the straps are connected in the hull. I think by doing that they cannot flex anymore because they are locked. Also i want to buy some tank foam that Riva racing sells, to reduce the sloshing of the fuel in tank. Anyone with an advice please feel free to let me know. Thanks !

+1
    Move it into "Old School" since lots of gp owners in here.

I thought 97 had an issue with cracking hulls anyway???

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Hulls numbered 5000 and under had cracking problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	id.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	56920  

+1
    Yamaha had a kit to fix this problem & it had nothing to do with the fuel tank.

I doubt this kit is still available.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    Hi I own an 1997 yamaha gp1200. I had a problem with the hull. It was cracking due to the weight of the fuel tank, especialy when full it tends to put a lot of stress on the straps and doing that it was having a bad effect on the hull. I fixed the crack with fiberglasscloth and expoy resin (hell of a job) But now I want to avoid it happening again. I was thinking placing to stainless steel plates or brackest between the two points where the straps are connected in the hull. I think by doing that they cannot flex anymore because they are locked. Also i want to buy some tank foam that Riva racing sells, to reduce the sloshing of the fuel in tank. Anyone with an advice please feel free to let me know. Thanks !

Just like J-ME said, there was at 1 time a kit that Yamaha sold to reinforce the hull of the 97.... it was Yamaha's problem child. I would suggest that you try doing a search www.rivayamaha in some of the oldest post. Someone a long time ago showed pictures of their kit at the bottom of the hull. It reduced the flex in the hull. I tried having my 97 fixed twice by professionals. Yamaha finally came to my emotional rescue and replaced the hull with a stronger 98 version. If you saw the pictures, perhaps you could design a kit yourself. It consisted of SS brackets that were epoxied in place.

The kit if installed properly I've read actually can increase the speed of the boat approx 1-1.5mph because the hull will flex less. 98 and 99 hulls were stronger and had less flex. This amoung other mods made the 98-99 versions a tad faster than the 97.

+1
    Thx for the tips. I made the brackets and placed them between the strap points. Also did I glassed the whole area with two layers of cloth and epoxy resin. They are currently truing the hull and it in the paintshop. Black and white. It was a hell of a job but I think it's going to hold. When its done i'll post some pictures

too late ...
    but i have some of the kits that were left in stock and gonna be tossed
    jason

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vomitspot View Post
    too late ...
    but i have some of the kits that were left in stock and gonna be tossed
    jason
    I think the craft already has the kit. Isn't it the two white plastic pieces that are all the way in front of the hull? They look like wings. Altough if you still have one I interrested to get on bacause mine has a crack in it

Thread Information