Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Synthetic oil verses regular oil

Was wondering if anyone on here has any info about using a 5W-40 full synthetic over the standard 10w-40 honda reccomends? Reason I ask, is that a few well respected v-tec race gu-ru's down here, tell me that it works well in modded applications, and if I chose to try it, fuel economy would increase as well as no dry starts, and due to the superior film strength of the synthetic oil, the engine wear would decrease greatly over standard sae oils.

+1
    I use Amsoil. Full synthetic. The best for your Honda. After placing 6th at the World Finals...I back there products. Call Kevin. Tell him Carlos Thomas sent you and see what he can do for you. Don't go 5W-40. and don't buy over the counter oil.

Kevin Stubaus AMSOIL Synthetic Oil Direct Dealer
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp
    www.TrySyntheticOil.com
    Call me if you would like to carry AMSOIL in your shop.
    TrySyntheticO[email protected]
    1-800-AMSOIL-4U (267-6454)

SAE 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke®
    Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF)

See Pricing Information or Place an Order

Package sizes include:
    1-Quart Bottle
    1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
    55-Gallon Drum
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

AMSOIL 10W-40 Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil (WCF) is a premium quality synthetic formulation engineered for the harsh operating conditions of marine environments. It withstands the intense mechanical action of continuous, high RPM operation to deliver superior viscosity protection. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is specially fortified with a heavy treatment of advanced additives that protects motors against wear, rust and deposits. It excels in both high horsepower applications and all-day trolling conditions.
    4-Stroke Outboard Motor Warranty Certified

Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is certified by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) for use in four-stroke outboard motors. This high quality oil demonstrates outstanding performance, exceeding the NMMA “FC-W” (Four Cycle-Water) specification requirements. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil fulfills the warranty requirements of four-stroke outboard motor manufacturers.

• NMMA Registration #FB-30010B 10W-40
    Superior Protection Against Engine Wear

Marine engines operate under high loads and RPMs for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure good protection, the NMMA set minimum shear stability requirements for FC-W. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil greatly exceeds the FC-W shear stability requirements, outperforming competitive oils to deliver a superior lubricating film. Formula 4-Stroke® Synthetic Oil also contains robust anti-wear additives that further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions (see Four-Ball Wear Test graph).
    Click on graph

to see larger image

While automobile engines normally operate at around 2,500 rpm, outboard motors can run twice as fast, requiring greater levels of wear protection and better bearing durability than automobiles. In addition, prolonged idling and low operating temperatures contribute to fuel dilution, further thinning the oil. To ensure adequate protection for their engines, marine engine manufacturers set minimum high temperature/high shear (HTHS) viscosity limits. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oils are shear stable and formulated with sophisticated oil additive chemistry, exceeding the HTHS requirements of both the API and NMMA FC-W (see graph).

Excellent Anti-Rust Performance
    Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. However, good rust protection is not natural to engine oil. It comes only by design. Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is fortified with a special anti-rust agent, even more than required to pass stringent NMMA FC-W anti-rust testing.
    Applications

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil (WCF) is recommended for gasoline fueled four-stroke outboard, inboard, inboard/outboard (I/O) and personal watercraft motors. AMSOIL WCF motor oil is recommended for the following applications whenever an SAE 10W-40, 15W-40, 25W-40 or straight SAE 40 oil is called for:
    Four-stroke outboard motors: Honda®, Mercury®, Yamaha®, Johnson®/Evinrude®, Bombardier/BRP®, Suzuki®, Nissan®, Tohatsu®
    Inboard and I/O: Mercruiser®, Volvo Penta®, OMC®, Chrysler® Marine, Crusader®, Marine Power®, Chevrolet®, Ford®

Personal Watercraft: Honda®, Yamaha®, Bombardier/BRP® (Sea-Doo&#174, Polaris®

Note: AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic 10W-40 is recommended for use in place of 25W-40 as specified by Mercury®.

NMMA FC-W • API SL

Service Life
    Four-stroke outboard motors and personal watercraft applications: Due to potential fuel dilution or water contamination, change oil at the engine or watercraft manufacturer recommended interval.
    Inboard and I/O applications: Change oil at two times the engine manufacturer recommended interval or one year, whichever comes first.
    Mixing AMSOIL
    AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Marine Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils will, however, shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.
    Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils.
    Health & Safety
    This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). MSDS’s are available upon request at 715-392-7101 or on our website. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.
    TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
    AMSOIL FORMULA 4-STROKE® MARINE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL (WCF)
    SAE 10W-40, API SL, NMMA FC-W
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D-5293)

6871 (-25)
    Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)

234 (453)Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)254 (489)Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)-46 (-51)
    Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)

6.40%
    Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hour, Scar in mm)

0.40Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896) 10.5HTHS (cP)4.6Humidity Cabinet Rust (ASTM D-174 Pass

Last edited by Carlos Thomas; 02-09-2008 at 02:09 PM.

your as bad as Kevin!!! LOL... I too use the marine 10w 40 from amsoil. Great stuff!!!!!!! Didn't notice any gains, well maybe a slightly faster acceleration, but thats about it. I did go on a long ride with me and my wife on the ski, 70 mile trip and burned just over a 1/4 tank of fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatraxx View Post
    Was wondering if anyone on here has any info about using a 5W-40 full synthetic over the standard 10w-40 honda reccomends? Reason I ask, is that a few well respected v-tec race gu-ru's down here, tell me that it works well in modded applications, and if I chose to try it, fuel economy would increase as well as no dry starts, and due to the superior film strength of the synthetic oil, the engine wear would decrease greatly over standard sae oils.
    Without getting into "The Great Oil Debate".....full synthetic oil is superior to standard oils.

However, I agree with Carlos.....and use the same Amsoil PWC/Marine 10W/40....and I need to order another case.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    This is what I use.

thanks for the input!

Well, I went ahead and sucked all the old 20/50 castrol I had been running, and put a german brand full synthetic 5w-40 (oem mercedes and porscha) only because I work at advance auto, and we got a killer deal on some close out stuff, and since nitro told me he runs 5w-40 in all his machines, I put it in, and it never has run smoother! It seemed to allow the turbo to spool up alot faster when cold, and might be a figment of my imagination, but seems to turn about 200 rpm higher than with the 20w/50 from previously. Fuel consumption was def lower, as I put 8 hours of solid riding this weekend. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that live in the south, and while the water temp was still a little nippy, the air was a very nice 76 degrees today (Sunday) and yesturday Saturday... I rode both days all day long. I can't wait till summer time, oh yeah!!!! Thanks for the suggestions, you guys are great.

5W 40

Must admit I have noticed a performance enhancement on my 2007 Ultra X since using 5W- 40 full synthetic. A little more top end too.

+1
    Bill Costa in Hawaii saw large gains in gas mileage during long over-the-ocean runs by using a 5w synthetic.

Question, how many hours should I allow for break in etc. before changing over to full synthetic? I have a Ultra 250X and they do have that GIO issue (mine seems fine) but my dealer said I should continue to run regular oil until about 50 hours to allow for full break in. Any advice on this? What weight? (10-40 as above?)

Quote Originally Posted by RG250X View Post
    Question, how many hours should I allow for break in etc. before changing over to full synthetic? I have a Ultra 250X and they do have that GIO issue (mine seems fine) but my dealer said I should continue to run regular oil until about 50 hours to allow for full break in. Any advice on this? What weight? (10-40 as above?)
    I'm sure you'll get 10 different opinions on this but I switched my 250 at 13 hours (first oil change). The way engines are made today you don't need the elaborate break in as they did in the past. Heck, Corvettes come out of the factory with Mobil One already installed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information