Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Removing RE blockoffs

How do I remove RE blockoffs once I siliconed them up, without damaging them?

OK, remove all the bolts, find a way to pry the corner just enough to sneek some fishing line in there.
    use a plactic putty knife to tap under the corner between hull and RE, or use a metal putty knife with a beveled edge, just be careful not to angle edge into the hull...

after you made a small seperation, remove putty knife or equivalent tool and take a foot long piece of fishing line tied to to sticks or dowel or whater necc to act as handles.

once the fishing line is behind the RE`s, gently saw back and forth with the fishing line to cut silicone, take your time and your done...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    OK, remove all the bolts, find a way to pry the corner just enough to sneek some fishing line in there.
    use a plactic putty knife to tap under the corner between hull and RE, or use a metal putty knife with a beveled edge, just be careful not to angle edge into the hull...

after you made a small seperation, remove putty knife or equivalent tool and take a foot long piece of fishing line tied to to sticks or dowel or whater necc to act as handles.

once the fishing line is behind the RE`s, gently saw back and forth with the fishing line to cut silicone, take your time and your done...
    I used a hammer and pry bar, but your way sounds way cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP Steve View Post
    I used a hammer and pry bar, but your way sounds way cooler.

I used a rubber mallet and a pocket knife.

I used a compact disc and a trailer ball.....my uncle helped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macgyver2rs.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	57004  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Andy thanks for the advise, this worked like champ. When I put the RE on I Tuff Stuff the s**t out of it, which I after doing it I read on here that is a no no but your way made it easy to remove. Now I just need to find my window scraper (razor blade with a handle) to remove all the silicone.

cool beans!, try not to use a straight razor, instead find something like a plastic ice scrapper, or beveled plastic putty knife. you can wet with WD-40 or adhesive remover while scrapping. hope this helps ya!

+1
    The straight razor worked fine to the majority of silicone off, I will try WD-40 and/or adhesive remover to remove the rest. I have to get the blockoff repowder coated because the Tuff Stuff ate the powder coat which is very odd, it looks similar to paint remover attacking paint, bubbles up and easily scraps away.

I`ve never seen RTV silicones remove powder coating .
    That shouldn`t have happened.
    If it`s only the back side and not the leading edges, clean off the backs really good and spray with good quality automotive engine enamel like Plastic kote, or martin Senoir, etc...
    the silicone in itself will protect the alum...

+1
    I am going by a powder coater tomorrow and see how it would cost to re-powder coat, I am thinking $20-30 dollars. If it cost more than $30 I will paint it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information