Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do I need for '03 SC rebuild?

I have to drop my '03 GTX SC off at Barney's in St. Pete to get the SC done... have about 40 hrs on the ski and do not have a known problem... just doing it as a precautionary measure... plus it is one of only a couple things left that could be causing my rpm loss (6,900 rpm max).

I would send it to Jerry or PPG, but the damned SC is freakin' fused to the engine block... a 30" prybar is not even working... that is another story. Anyway, the guys at Barney's said they deal with this on occasion so I give up - rather pay for it at this point... I'm about to break sh*t.

The '03 SC was different than the '04 and other years that have the ceramic issues, so it is not clear to me what I need to buy for the SC rebuild. Supposedly the '03 had some sort of different internal configuration.

If I buy the parts from Jerry's store, what do I need to update the '03 SC? The plan is to buy the right stuff to bring to them for installation.

They mentioned that SeaDoo recently released a rebuild kit at a reduced price in comparison to past prices. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

+1
    You need this rebuild kit
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=340

and these metal washers
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=381

the greenhulk coupon code will save you 10% on the washers.

Thanks!
    Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I appreciate the very quick response.

Do you know the history of this ski? Some '03s came with synthetic oil in them until 11/03 when Sea Doo changed the recommendation to mineral oil for SC engines. If the synthetic oil was still in the engine (and it could be due to the low hours) that could be the cause of the metal SC washers slipping. Also, if you changed the oil only once, about 1/3 of the old oil is still in the engine... Ron

+1
    Once you get all the bolts out you should be able to turn it. My 06 RXT has 3 bolts holding the SC on and it just slide right out. You might want to ask for help from a forum member located near you.

Maybe I am going about this all wrong... after eliminating many other possible causes (except for changing the fuel filter), I suspect that the SC may be causing my low (6,900) rpm condition. I figured that since I would be removing the SC for checking - may as well just rebuild it and not have to worry about it for a long time. But... it is a 2003 and many have told me that it does not have the same problems as 2004 and newer.

So, I figured for a $100 or so in parts and an hour or two of labor, it would be worth a rebuild - for long-term reliability... until I found that I need about $500 worth of parts to upgrade an '03 SC.

So... since I almost have the SC off, should I just get it checked and "shimmed" (if that even applies)?

Is it that simple with an '03?

Do the '03's experience the catastrophic/engine damaging failure that the newer models experience?

I go on long rides and plan to keep the ski for at least another year or two...maybe longer... I take my kids on rides and don't want to be stranded miles away from a boat ramp... just looking to increase reliability.

If it were an '04 or newer, it would be clear to me that I should do the metal washer deal... but the '03 model year twist is confusing the situation... especially since I have to buy so much stuff to get it up to the newer spec.

Thanks for the help!

+1
    With the 03 model you will need the complete rebuild kit and metal washers.

If it was an 04 it would be as simple as a quick bearing change and installation of metal washers.

the 03 is an entirely different animal

OK - but do I have the same concerns with an '03? For example, does it have the catastrophic failure mode of the '04 (ceramic blowout and oil pump/engine destruction)?

Or does the '03 just go quietly and require a simple "tightening" or something simple versus a complete rebuild or replacement of parts?

What is the failure mode of the '03? Does it result in engine damage? Can I get back to shore if it craps out? Now that I almost have it off, what should I do with it?

I almost have it off and need to decide (for the sake of reliability, not destroying my engine or being stranded at sea) what to do with it.

+1
    The 03 does not use ceramic washers so there is no catastrophic failure. The gear and it's mating surfaces wear and the supercharger just fades away.

+1
    Jerry and tampagtxsc,

not trying to sabatoge this thread but if run greencharger on gtx with rxp ecu will i need to change injectors or can just run stock with 58 psi fuel reg or keep all stock.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information