Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

I see some crazy things when rebuilding superchargers....

... but the one i just finished takes the cake

Those familiar with working on superchargers will be able to relate....

First off the supercharger sent to me was for an 03 GTX SC.
    I was to install a fresh rebuild kit and metal washers.

When i removed the supercharger from the box i noticed right away that someone had already rebuilt this supercharger with an 06 spec kit and both ceramic washers were missing

Whats worse is they installed a RXP rebuild kit on it. RXP's have a 16 tooth gear, GTX SC's have a 17 tooth gear.

Then i noticed they installed the flat nut (the nut you put the wrench on) backwards. Doing this can pretty much guarantee that the ceramic washer it rides against will break within minutes of running the ski.

I started stripping the supercharger apart and when i took the impeller nut off there were two washers behind it. One of the washers was the larger, thinner washer that is supposed to go between the rear bearing and the spacer spool.

To top it all off the rear bearing was in backwards.

I just hung up with the customer and he told me he bought this ski with 30 hours on it from a stealership in Texas. When be brought the ski back to them to tell them about the low RPM's they simply told him he over filled the oil and charged him $300 for an oil change.

This work was performed by a genuine Sea Doo dealership. Scary stuff isn't it?
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 02-10-2008 at 05:51 PM.

damm that is scary and to say they are suppose to be the proffesionals
    i think im going to aply to be a sea-doo mechanic at a dealership because even with the little knowledge that i have about superchargers i would have done a better job just folowing the damm service book .

so the ceramic washers never exploded at least that a good thing did you take pictures?? i would be really pissed off right now.

+1
    Gotta love those Texas stealerships. I think the mechanic worked on my ski when I took it for the 10 hr service was still in high school.

Jerry, you should open your own shop up. If I ever had to take mine in to get repairs, I would drive to Morgan City for you to work on it.
    Last edited by cbrich; 02-10-2008 at 12:32 PM.

+1
    Absolutely, I would drive out of my way to have Jerry work on mine.
    But I would want the SC signed "Green Hulk."

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    probably never had washers between engine and s/c to allow for longer shaft either.
    I often see them come loose as someone fitted the wrong thickness riva washers for the year of s/c they have.

+1
    that is some scary stuff. I am telling you, in west texas, that being the panhandle there are no manchanics within 300 miles that knows anything about these skis. before I found this site i had to go to dallas to find anyone that new anything, and believe me I called everywhere for weeks to find that out. I now know more about moding 4 tech sc ski then the dealership here in my home town by a mile and I live in a town with 250,000 people.
    you must be careful and also the rates they charge are ridiculous. it is so crazy.

I have people seeing me work on my ski all the time as a hobby starting to ask me about this and that. it is so funny to hear some of the things I have heard from those competitively minded people. Just yesterday my neighbor accross the way was trying to one up me saying his brother in law in wichita falls, bought an brand new 07 seadoo 2 seater for 16,000 last year. It was solid black with silver pin striping, no other color. What? It was also turbo charged and would do the fandango. we argued about that for 30 minutes, as I tried to explain to him that had to be a moded ski.
    this very competitive neighbor also last year bought him a ski, that being a seadoo gti 135 hp. he is convinced it runs 62 mph and I have tried to explain to him that it probably does only 52 but it is amazing what these texans thank or do not know any better.
    Last edited by skoepp; 02-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    that is some scary stuff. I am telling you, in west texas, that being the panhandle there are no manchanics within 300 miles that knows anything about these skis. before I found this site i had to go to dallas to find anyone that new anything, and believe me I called everywhere for weeks to find that out. I now know more about moding 4 tech sc ski then the dealership here in my home town by a mile and I live in a town with 250,000 people.
    you must be careful and also the rates they charge are ridiculous. it is so crazy.
    So Sharp's (Amarillo) can't fix it for you? Wait a minute they are just a bunch of dumb ass up there. My first dirt bike came from them, this thing could not start unless it was dragged. Checked the compression it was about 30 lbs, they told that was normal and they would be glad to look at it. When I removed the head an exhaust valve seat was gone, not just a part of but the whole thing was gone. The other 3 valves had theirs cause you can see them, cost me $100 for a machine shop to install a new one. Sharp's wanted $1,500 for a new head, the bike was bought for $1,000.

I would never take a toy to Sharp's for repair.

+1
    No one in amarillo new what i was talking about when asking for mods. I live in lubbock. It is funny, the dealership here in town is a big dealer, sales, seadoo, kawi, honda, suzuki, ktm, can am, and about 5 different boat manufactures. they have a huge store and sell alot, but no nothing about moding skis. Its kinda funny the marine manager is a good friend that I see at the lake. I call him everyonce and a while to let him know what I have done in mods and what the new goals are. I can not wait to see those 3 X models that they have sold on my lake.

ps. at least this friend of mine (marine manager) has been honest with me, when I asked him about SC work or prop pitching, he said that he would have to send off to have the work done.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK JERRY!!!!!!!!!!

JERRY, SORRY TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD, BUT THERE ARE A FEW OTHERS HERE IN TEXAS THAT HAVE THE SAME FELLING.
    Last edited by skoepp; 02-10-2008 at 02:42 PM.

+1
    Unfortunately Texas is not the only place where dealers know virtually nothing about skis ... the absolutely worst place to get information or get your ski fixed is quite often at dealers. I NEVER will bring my RXP to a dealer, I even totally skipped the 10 hr service ... the dealers that do this service frequently CAUSE troubles that the ski did not have prior to the dealer visit.

I think the difference is interest ... for us, skis are a hobby and a passion ... so we KNOW a lot about our skis and what works and does not, etc, etc. For people at a dealership, its their JOB ... 'nuff said, you know what I mean. And, unfortunately, I have not met a lot of 'rocket scientists' at dealers ... too often they seem to be somewhat unintelligent, unmotivated, and could actually care less about the stuff they sell, they just want the commission and will say virtually anything to sell a ski that they know absolutely nothing about.

In general, dealerships are THE WORST place to get information about skis ... in fact you could collect some seriously funny video to post here, by having a friend video you asking serious questions about jetskis at a boat show ... the sales personnel at boat shows have told me such unbelievable, inaccurate BS that I almost laughed out loud in their face. Some of these guys don't even know how an engine works, what a pump is, what a supercharger or turbo is, and would not know which was what if you showed them one.

+1
    Vern, I agree with you.

I grew up in Amarillo, but now live in Austin. I have only delt with 3 dealers so far and none of them knew what they were doing. When I took my RXT in for it's 10hr service I was charged $275 for an oil change, the receipt only showed oil, oil filter, and labor. I was under the impression it would cost $100 or so, but $275 is just plain ridiculous. These high cost is what drives the owner to do the maintenance themselves. A fellow employee at my work was charged $500 for the yearly maintenance on his boat.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information