Anyone used the Lowrance LMF-200? Digital Fuel / Temp / Etc.

I'm kind of anal and don't like dummy lights. My 96 Challenger does not have a working speedo so I have a hole to fill. My fuel gauge also does not work so well. So when I saw this the gears started turning. I was planning on filling the speedo hole with the Lowrance LMF-200 digital gauge that comes with the fuel meter for $120. Perhaps I can also connect my GPS to the LMF-200 too. Seems like a fun gadget that perhaps I can use to get best fuel economy and monitor changes in engine performance. I'm also considering getting the water temp probe. What is the "normal" water temp for the 787 motor. Your thoughts?

Here is the link to the gauge at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HK643A
    Lowrance web site:
    http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...auges/LMF-200/
    Manual:
    http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...Owners-Manual/
    Last edited by PilotSmith; 02-10-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Some images... Not sure if they are all the same unit as the menu button is not the same on all the images...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMF-200_left.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	57200  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by PilotSmith; 02-10-2008 at 08:10 PM.

not sure if your ski has a fuel return line? but all of mine do and that would wreak havoc with the gauge because of the flow vs consumption rate and the temp is actual body of water temp I don't think they have an engine temp kit?Z
    Last edited by ZMANN; 02-10-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    not sure if your ski has a fuel return line? but all of mine do and that would wreak havoc with the gauge because of the flow vs consumption rate and the temp is actual body of water temp I don't think they have an engine temp kit?Z
    Good catch! I'll have to check out the fuel system path or else that may indeed make the fuel flow meter pointless. The temp is indeed just for surface water or baitwell. Darn.

Here is an image of the temp probe. I believe it could fairly easily be adapted to make a temp probe to go in a T coupling to read engine water temp. The probe is designed to operate in a temperature range of 4° to 176° F (-20° to 80° C) which I think would be good for the 787.

Now time to research the fuel issue...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	probe.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	57284  

Ok, now that I have Googled more than I ever wanted to know about return fuel lines I am still not sure if it would work. In looking at the Challenger fuel circuit diagram in the manual there indeed appears to be a fuel return line. I have no idea how much fuel may get passed through that line to know if this can work with reasonable accuracy. I can hear the fuel pump momentairily run when the boat battery is first powered on and then it goes off in a few seconds. So maybe it is not contantly pumping fuel and only pumps to keep a constant pressure as fuel pressure drops? I could always connect a second fuel meter to the LMF-200 that is inline with the return fuel line. Set one up as starboard and the other as port motor and deduct the return line reading from the other. That would be pretty easy to do but cost an extra $50.

Perhaps putting a valve in the return line so you have the option to shut it off would also work. I believe the problem with not having a fuel return line is that if heat builds up in the fuel lines it may cause vapor lock. Anyone know if there may be any other problem caused by shutting off the return line?

I'd like to get one of these. Considering I was going to put in a water temp gauge anyway, the extra cost of the digital gauge is not too bad. I'm 99% sure I can adapt the surface water temp sensor to an engine water temp sensor. Want a little more info on using a fuel shut off valve on the return line before making a final decision. I like to tinker with stuff like this... Pretty soon my dash will look like a Christmas tree. Fortunately the dash is small so I will not be able to go too crazy putting electronics in it.

Thread Information