What are these bottle like looking things?

Sorry to ask so many questions... I do not have the bottle looking things in my 96 Challenger as shown in its shop manual. Manual does not say what they are. They go in the air intake holes. Could they be to muffle noise or keep out water?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010001.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	57297  

A blower fan goes inside of them on my 98 Challenger 1800

Mine has a blower in it on the stbd side but it sits down lower. So I was thinking those things in the digram were something else.

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotSmith View Post
    Mine has a blower in it on the stbd side but it sits down lower. So I was thinking those things in the digram were something else.
    They hold a pad of "egg-crate" rubber that is supposed to reduce engine noise from coming up thru that (air intake) hole. The rubber liner is the stuff with the "X" marking, in the diagram..below the cylinder.

On some models, Seadoo put some rubbery mat on the engine cover that is right over each intake hole, when the cover is closed...again, to try and suppress some of the noise. My boat didn't have that...I cut some Harbor Freight tool box liner and siliconed it up there. It wasn't anywhere near as effective as blocking the other large openings from the engine compartment.

So you are saying they are bottles with foam in them? Mine has a tube going down each side that is lined with a firm egg crate type foam. That diagram looks like there is a bottle that goes inside the foam tube. I was planning to get some foam that is used in air filters and stuffing it down in the tubes to fill then in few inches. I think that would keep a good amount of noise from freely echoing up through the air intake holes without creating too much resistance. I am still confused about the bottles in the diagram. Bottles look like they connect with hose clamps to something.

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotSmith View Post
    So you are saying they are bottles with foam in them? Mine has a tube going down each side that is lined with a firm egg crate type foam. That diagram looks like there is a bottle that goes inside the foam tube. .
    You have two white plastic rings (port & starboard) that are pop riveted (x4)to the outside decking around the engine hatch; the underside of each white plastic ring has a flange that the black plastic cylinders (your "bottles") are hose-clamped to. The inside of the plastic cylinders are lined with the egg-crate rubber noise attenuator.

These are breathing tubes for the engine; don't block em...once you close off most of the openings going toward the cockpit, these are where your engine will be pulling in air.

Aside from those breathers (and the gaping side holes we've been plugging), Seadoo tryed to close off any free-routes for airborne engine noise--the lift out tray has a rubber gasket, as does the engine hatch itself. By lining the cylinders with the attenuating rubber stuff, Seadoo was trying to reduce the amount of noise coming out of the breathers...
    Last edited by Steve762us; 02-17-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information