Thread: Dual batteries?

+1

Dual batteries?

I have an 07 all stock with 88 hrs.
    Well at the end of a river ride yesterday after crossing a rough lake i stopped to wait for everyone and shut off my ski. When i went to turn it on the dash lit up, i hit start and it all went dead and wouldnt start..

Got on land and tightened the battery post <which didnt even seem loose really> and it started tight up.
    Well how would i wire in a 2nd battery for such emergencies or is there a different type of clamp or bolt to secure the battery and cable better than OEM?

Its way to hard to get to the battery while on the water with all the gear up front.

What should i do?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john07ex View Post
    I have an 07 all stock with 88 hrs.
    Well at the end of a river ride yesterday after crossing a rough lake i stopped to wait for everyone and shut off my ski. When i went to turn it on the dash lit up, i hit start and it all went dead and wouldnt start..

Got on land and tightened the battery post <which didnt even seem loose really> and it started tight up.
    Well how would i wire in a 2nd battery for such emergencies or is there a different type of clamp or bolt to secure the battery and cable better than OEM?

Its way to hard to get to the battery while on the water with all the gear up front.

What should i do?
    PM Blue182 or Earthshaker. They would be able to tell you about a 2nd battery hook up.
    Jimmy

John07, I had a batt lead come loose once just like you. It was a royal pain because ski quit in high wind and chop. I thought it might be a loose lead but I had no way to check without getting to shore. Just like you I had a bunch of gear in bow and no way to get to batt. Even once to shore, it was still a hassle because I couldnt beach ski without getting hull battered on rocks. Then I had to get out the little tool bag that has an uninsulated screwdriver. I almost dropped everything several times and ended up with a mild shock because I forgot to remove key. It was my fault, however, for not tightening leads better when I took off tender.

I like these "quick snaps" or some other kind of quick disconnect that requires no tools to remove or install leads. I attached pix of HOT quick snap from WORX catalog. I have seen others that combine 2 leads into 1 plug which may be even easier to use in dark or bad conditions.

There are threads here devoted to 2 batt system. I should have my done in a week or 2 and will reupdate thread or you can pm me.

There are a number of things to consider with 2 batts and it may not be worth the cost and trouble for most. The only reason I decided I needed it is because of remote solo rides where redundant systems and extra power for accessories are needed. There is plenty of room in Ultra for 2nd batt if you remove 2nd waterbox and replace stock exhaust with RIVA. But there are various other issues regarding switches, charging, waterproofing etc.

CORRECTION: Page is from HOT catalog given to me by WORX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quick Snap.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	57378  
    Last edited by Blue 182; 02-12-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Correction Re Catalog

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    There might be some consideration here for having the batt that runs the ski located in the rear and the accessories run from the front.

Thats an interersting idea EShkr that weve not discussed before. Messing with all those pop rivets while standing in water in bad weather was a big hassle. I eventually gave up and just threw everything into the bow because it was getting dark and I had to get outta there.

On the other hand, I know that lead popped off because I had not properly secured it. Also, I think stock compartment is as waterproof as you can reasonably get. Ive been happy to note many times that stock compartment was dry even with standing or spraying water into bow. I'm thinking its the engine batt I want most protected from elements and Ive not seen any cheap easy way to achieve similar protection for rear batt.

I'll be the first to admit that I lack the experience to know just how much moisture, grime etc it will take to short rear batt with no box protection. But thats why I like the idea of rear batt powering 2nd auto bilge & non vital accessories. If it shorts, I lose 1 bilge and jump option only.

I know I'm out there on my own on this one, but the reason I like the small batt guage (for front & rear batt) is to easily check continuity and power level without having to access anything. I was thrilled when I finally got everything out of bow, popped rivets and cover and saw all I had was popped lead wire. But, if I had that little guage I would have known immediately I'd lost continuity. When I went dead in water, I really had no way to check what was wrong and had to think whether to call for help or paddle to shore and try to figure it out on my own as darkness and more bad weather approached.

The decision ended up being easy because that was one of the few days that I forgot cell phone and VHF was useless. I was lucky there were some kind people on shore who waved me in and offerred to help. They offerred me some cocoa but I can tell you they were not about to wade into that water!

+1
    Nice thank you. I am also considering a 2nd battery cause i want to run an MP3 player and speakers soon..

I found the clamps here http://ad-discountperformance.com/in...oducts_id=3489
    But for $32 i think i might try some loktight or another battery solution.

They look nice but dang thats pricey IMO.

Thread Information