Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    sportster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St.Albert, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    156

    06 Sponsons On An 04

    Will They Fit?


  2. #2
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    9,464
    +1
    4
    YES, but with modification...

    they changed the thru-hull inserts on the hulls for the different sponsons...

    you can either modify the 06 sponsons with time and patience to fit the 04...

    OR... you can order all the hardware and change the hardware that bolts thru the hull to accept the sponsons like factory..

  3. #3
    kp04rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pipersville, PA
    Posts
    826
    I tried this same swap and It sure seemed like to me that the 04 studs are different then the 06 studs so I was unable to make the 06 sponsons fit correctly. I kept the 04's..

  4. #4
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    9,464
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    I tried this same swap and It sure seemed like to me that the 04 studs are different then the 06 studs so I was unable to make the 06 sponsons fit correctly. I kept the 04's..
    exactly

    04 and prior studs are thick square studs

    05+ studs are thinner and rectangle

    so u can take a 05+ sponson and put it on the 04 bc the square stuf fits in the rectangular inset, but the inset that's notched into the sponson isn't deep enough bc the square studs are thicker.... i used a dremel to act as a router to make the inset on the sponson a little bit deeper so the sponson would bolt up tightly against the hull with no space

    it's possible with some work...

    those 04 sponsons sure are ugly, lol

  5. #5
    kp04rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pipersville, PA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    exactly

    04 and prior studs are thick square studs

    05+ studs are thinner and rectangle

    so u can take a 05+ sponson and put it on the 04 bc the square stuf fits in the rectangular inset, but the inset that's notched into the sponson isn't deep enough bc the square studs are thicker.... i used a dremel to act as a router to make the inset on the sponson a little bit deeper so the sponson would bolt up tightly against the hull with no space

    it's possible with some work...

    those 04 sponsons sure are ugly, lol
    haha yea I agree I just had enough of this ski torn apart and didn't need to make a project out of the sponsons. So I just threw the 04's back on and wiped them down with some back to black cleaner to try and shine them up. I'll save the 06's until I get bored sometime and feel like switching them!

  6. #6
    sportster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St.Albert, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    156
    Thanks For The Responses, You Guys Are Fast. I Was Thinking Of Modding The 06 Sponsons, Just Wanted Some Feedback As I Was Sure Someone Had Removed The Ugly O4 Sponsons. Paid 20.00 For The Pair. It's Worth A Try.

  7. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    Plus the 05+ mounting hardware is 2-3x's thicker and beefier on the hull insert...

  8. #8
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    +1
    4
    I know you guys are talkin' about '06s on '04s... but I put '05s on an '02 with no alterations to the sponsons at all. I would think this would hold true with the '06/'04 swap, but maybe not .

    I do remember that the square stud bosses of the '02 hull had to be perfectly aligned so as to match up to the '05 sponson recesses. Then I just used some stainless flat washers and nuts to bolt it down.

    When I'm done with the hull modifications I'm going to replace the standard nuts with the "acorn" variety to give it a more finished look.

    Here is a pic... I removed a nut and washer so you can see the '02 studs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00222.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	57377  

  9. #9
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    2,677
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Plus the 05+ mounting hardware is 2-3x's thicker and beefier on the hull insert...
    Danny is right about that!

    In fact, I've already replaced three pre '05 studs on my friends ski's that broke because of minor (and not so minor ) impacts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 05 sponsons on an 04
    By addicted in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
  2. Advantage of 05 sponsons on an 04 RXP?
    By snowrunner in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
  3. X style Bar riser on an 04 RXP?
    By snowrunner in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 07:20 PM
  4. Pulling the SC on an 04 GTX ?
    By Piney in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 03:18 PM
  5. 05 sponsons on a 04 RXP
    By Turbo Todd in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •