Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking 04 RXP Stage 2.5 Looking to Break 80mph!!

My ski is a 2004 rxp 109 hours and STOCK ECU.

Riva s3 sc
    Piranha intercooler w/ pipes,
    Piranha motor mount
    Groco strainer
    Catch can,
    4" front air intake
    Riva 158F Thermostat Kit
    42lb Injectors
    Thru Hull Exhaust w/ Shorty Green Box
    RE Block Offs
    Riva Intake Grate
    Riva Wedge
    Riva VTS Extension Rod
    R&D Grate Girdle
    Solas 15/20r Prop
    Riva adj. Venturi w/ 81mm ring
    Filled Ride Plate Holes / Trimmed Reverse Bucket
    Perfectly Aligned Pump Shoe/Engine

I weigh 185lbs, ride sea level/salt water, and had 3-4 bars of fuel. The water temp was 42F and the air temp was 44F. I ran 78.7mph @ 8150 rpms pinned steady with a couple flashes above 79mph but too quick to read. The ski ran amazing and sounds unbelievable! The prop is unpitched & boost was between 10.5-11psi..

My ultimate goal is to break 80+ with the stock ecu and I really believe I can do this without much more work; but I need some advice. Now I know I was kind of running in abnormally cold water/air temps so the rpm's are probably way up there on the rev limiter. The machine was running excellent no calvitation or any hesitation what so ever.

My Questions:

Would a smaller venturi ring such as 80mm or maybe even 79mm have allowed me to break 80mph?

Does my prop need to be pitched just a bit? I'm leaning towards no esp. since Jerry already told me to leave it alone haha..

Do I absolutely need skegs or break 80mph?

Would metal pipes vs. Piranha silicon pipes make up for some lost power? I'm also planning on including a good BOV into a pipe setup. I have one pipe made in 2.5" stainless so far.

The next time I test is most likely going to be in the Ft.Lauderdale area next week so the temps are going to be much different. Most of the time around here the temps will also be much different since I normally don't ride until May at the earliest. This all needs to be taken into consideration also.

Any advice/questions/assistance would be much appreciated and I have until Friday night to make some changes before my trip to Florida; otherwise it will have to wait till May for testing I guess but no big deal..

Thanks for the help!!

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    If you mean that the rpm was pinned at 8150 rpm, then yes, you were probably on the limiter and would gain a little speed with an additional +1 mm in the prop.

However, I agree with Jerry, those temps you were running won't last much longer... so your current setup will most likely be dead on.

Banned User
    +1
    80 @ stock ECU is a tough goal, lots are chasing it too...The next best option for you would be Jim's rideplate...that could push you over that threshhold...

Are you gonna tweek the prop to run a larger ring in the summer @8100, then step it down when it gets cooler?

+1
    Yes, a Jim's rideplate, Jerry's skegs, a Rude rising rate fpr, and a Rude Charger should put you over 80 mph.

+1
    To be honest with you,,your right there. I`d look at your intake though. What transition are you using to the charger? Check the mating of the blockoffs and the ride plate to hull. Also check you TB blade. I really think with those temps you could pull an 80 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    80 @ stock ECU is a tough goal, lots are chasing it too...The next best option for you would be Jim's rideplate...that could push you over that threshhold...

Are you gonna tweek the prop to run a larger ring in the summer @8100, then step it down when it gets cooler?
    Danny, honestly whatever I need to do I'm going to do. If leaving the prop untouched now then tweaking it for the summer is necessary then I'll pull it and tweak it! I've got larger rings and prepared to order small rings if necessary. So changing rings is not a problem either.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Yes, a Jim's rideplate, Jerry's skegs, a Rude rising rate fpr, and a Rude Charger should put you over 80 mph.
    hmm I dunno if I'll be doing all that haha.. Maybe the rideplate if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    To be honest with you,,your right there. I`d look at your intake though. What transition are you using to the charger? Check the mating of the blockoffs and the ride plate to hull. Also check you TB blade. I really think with those temps you could pull an 80 mph.
    Hoss, I'm actuallly not sure what transition adapter it is. I bought the sc from Travis (nomoxp4me) and he had an aluminum transition already installed. To me it looks like a pretty nice one since all edges are flush and smooth.

As for the RE Plates to the hull should I just make sure that they are absolutely as smooth as possible? Right now they are siliconed but with could probably be a touch smoother?

What was your concern with the TB?

Now In the same temps would a 79-80mm ring push me over since I know I was riding the limiter pretty hardcore? And what can I expect when I ride in Florida next week are the results going to pretty different/slower?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    My ski is a 2004 rxp 109 hours and STOCK ECU.

Riva s3 sc
    Piranha intercooler w/ pipes,
    Piranha motor mount
    Groco strainer
    Catch can,
    4" front air intake
    Riva 158F Thermostat Kit
    42lb Injectors
    Thru Hull Exhaust w/ Shorty Green Box
    RE Block Offs
    Riva Intake Grate
    Riva Wedge
    Riva VTS Extension Rod
    R&D Grate Girdle
    Solas 15/20r Prop
    Riva adj. Venturi w/ 81mm ring
    Filled Ride Plate Holes / Trimmed Reverse Bucket
    Perfectly Aligned Pump Shoe/Engine

I weigh 185lbs, ride sea level/salt water, and had 3-4 bars of fuel. The water temp was 42F and the air temp was 44F. I ran 78.7mph @ 8150 rpms pinned steady with a couple flashes above 79mph but too quick to read. The ski ran amazing and sounds unbelievable! The prop is unpitched & boost was between 10.5-11psi..

My ultimate goal is to break 80+ with the stock ecu and I really believe I can do this without much more work; but I need some advice. Now I know I was kind of running in abnormally cold water/air temps so the rpm's are probably way up there on the rev limiter. The machine was running excellent no calvitation or any hesitation what so ever.80 is hard to reach but not out of the question with a stock ecu..there are some nice mods out right now that will definatly get you over 80 with a stock ecu..

My Questions:

Would a smaller venturi ring such as 80mm or maybe even 79mm have allowed me to break 80mph? Possibly but unlikely being your turning 8150..You will loose RPM with the 80 mm Ring BUT you will pick up some MPH..Not alot to even get excited about..You might get a solid 79 MPH out of it..I would stay away from the 79 mm ring.

Does my prop need to be pitched just a bit? I'm leaning towards no esp. since Jerry already told me to leave it alone haha..I beg to differ on this one..Your in 44 degree air and 42 degree water temps...Take this same setup and run it in the normal riding conditions..Your rpms are gonna fall drasticly and your gonna loose MPH.Ill bet your rpms will fall to 7950-8000 in normal conditions with this current setup..Yes you can compinsate by using the rings to get your RPMs back in the ballpark but you might need to do some minor tweeking to get them right on the money..Maybe not.You wont know till you run it...So yes in my opinion your gonna have to pitch the prop slightly ..I would pitch it to a 82 mm ring in 60-70 degree temps that way you have a out for the hot weather and cold weather..When its Hot youll need to throw the 83mm ring in..when its cold youll need the 81mm or 80mm depending on RPMs..

Do I absolutely need skegs or break 80mph?
    No but it will help handling drasticly..

Would metal pipes vs. Piranha silicon pipes make up for some lost power? I'm also planning on including a good BOV into a pipe setup. I have one pipe made in 2.5" stainless so far.
    This is all preferance..I personally would go with the metal pipes..they are solid and durable..The BOV is another personal preferance..Me i like it for the simple reason i ride in some rough chop sometimes and like knowing im not stressing out my SC shaft and clutches..

The next time I test is most likely going to be in the Ft.Lauderdale area next week so the temps are going to be much different. Most of the time around here the temps will also be much different since I normally don't ride until May at the earliest. This all needs to be taken into consideration also.

Any advice/questions/assistance would be much appreciated and I have until Friday night to make some changes before my trip to Florida; otherwise it will have to wait till May for testing I guess but no big deal..

Thanks for the help!!

+1
    [quote=kp04rxp;535902]Danny, honestly whatever I need to do I'm going to do. If leaving the prop untouched now then tweaking it for the summer is necessary then I'll pull it and tweak it! I've got larger rings and prepared to order small rings if necessary. So changing rings is not a problem either.

hmm I dunno if I'll be doing all that haha.. Maybe the rideplate if need be.

Hoss, I'm actuallly not sure what transition adapter it is. I bought the sc from Travis (nomoxp4me) and he had an aluminum transition already installed. To me it looks like a pretty nice one since all edges are flush and smooth. This would be the adapter that connects the air intake hose to the SC..Some have a aluminum or plastic ring that goes around the SC collar,and some have a 90 degree elbow that reduses from 4 inch on one side to 3 inch on the other to fit on the SC..This makes the air transition into the SC nice and smooth

As for the RE Plates to the hull should I just make sure that they are absolutely as smooth as possible?Yes you do want to make these as smooth as possible..But 98% of us are using the silicone to fill the gap..Just make it nice and smooth and youll have no problems.

Right now they are siliconed but with could probably be a touch smoother?Just smooth out the silicone and youll be fine.

What was your concern with the TB?
    Check to see if your TB plate is opening all the way.

Now In the same temps would a 79-80mm ring push me over since I know I was riding the limiter pretty hardcore?They might but it will be very close..I wouldnt expect to see it consistantly if you do crack 80 And what can I expect when I ride in Florida next week are the results going to pretty different/slower?If you dont change a thing youll see your RPMs drop and your gonna see some lose in speed.
    [/quote]
    Last edited by Snoman; 02-12-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Okay so pretty much I'm going to have to ride in some warmer weather and see how she runs then tweak from there. I do like the idea of getting dialed in with the 82mm though. That actually seems like a great.

Snoman looks like we're right in the same range with speed.. How has you luck been with breaking 80mph?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    Okay so pretty much I'm going to have to ride in some warmer weather and see how she runs then tweak from there.
    This in my opinion for riders like us is the way to set up our skis..

I do like the idea of getting dialed in with the 82mm though. That actually seems like a great.

Snoman looks like we're right in the same range with speed.. How has you luck been with breaking 80mph?
    79 tops brotha...BUT i am only running the Rotax Racing SC wheel and Im also running the 15/19 3 blade prop.My thinking is switch to the 15/20 4 blade and put in the S3 Sc and i should be damn near 80 or above...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information