Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

1995 Slx780 Project

well, before hard start is the problem, im expecting its a stator problem, opened the engine and found out the mag and pto piston overheated again... now il be tearing the engine down and clean, check everything inside

heres the pics:

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=engine1ex8.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maghq6.jpg
    mag

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centerll9.jpg
    center

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ptowc5.jpg
    pto

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=engine3rg1.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=engine2wp5.jpg

how do you remove your connecting rod from the crankshaft? I put my crankshaft in the lath machine and check for crank index and found that the mag side of the crankshaft has a .5mm lifting little problem....what do you think? could this be corrected when installed back in the case???help
    Last edited by andy95'slx780; 02-12-2008 at 03:22 AM.

+1
    Personally I think you first need to find out where the water intrusion is coming from before you keep thowing good money after bad.
    I'd replace the crank (or have it rebuilt) and upper rod end bearings, measure the cylinders (top, center and bottom), check your ring end clearance and verify if you need to go bigger or not.

water.... as what i think came from the single and last exhaust gasket, was eaten, and when i removed the pipe yesterday, no gasket anymore... it was a 3 days ride from camiguin island and i noticed the water escaping from the side of the pipe, so... i expect it there....... or could be in the head gasketsm,but the head gasket has no sign of leaks....thats only the points of water intrusions....

about the cylinders...ok ill check tomorow to the machinist, ang let them hone it...until the scratches is gone...then il check the ring clearance, what units of clearance u need in mm?

about the crankshaft rebuilt...how much would it cost? il send it here from the philippines? or the machinist here can fix this? pto connecting rod bearings need to be replaced..how to remove the rod???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andy95'slx780 View Post
    ...about the cylinders...ok ill check tomorow to the machinist, and let them hone it...until the scratches is gone...then I'll check the ring clearance, what units of clearance u need in mm?

about the crankshaft rebuilt...how much would it cost? send it to US from the Philippines? or the machinist here can fix this?
    pto connecting rod bearings need to be replaced..how to remove the rod???
    Cylinders;
    Before honing, measure diameter at top, middle, and bottom of each one. If cylinders are too far out of spec, then they will need to be machined, probably up to the next standard piston size. Honing will not be enough if the pistons no longer fit correctly in the cylinders.

Piston ring end gap is measured in thousands of an inch (x/1000 inch), check the Polaris manual for your engine.
    I believe the limit for piston clearance in your engine is .008" (.2mm), and the piston ring end gap should be .012-.020" (0.3-0.5mm)

Overheated pistons - do you know the cause?
    Carburetors out of adjustment?
    If you have to buy new pistons, then boring the cylinders to match would make sense.

The crankshaft must be disassembled using a press (10 ton size?) to replace the connecting rod bearings. Rebuilding it requires knowledge and practice. Unless you have a machine shop that is familiar with rebuilding a crankshaft, and has the jigs necessary to do it properly, you might want to send it to a crankshaft rebuilder that does know how to do it. Cost, not including shipping, would be at least $400US, I think.

You seem to have a number of issues with that engine. You need to ensure that all problems are identified, and corrected, otherwise the repaired engine will not be reliable.

ok, il find tomorrow who can disassemble the shaft...

+1
    ok, il find tomorrow who can disassemble the shaft...
    Be sure they are familiar with how Polaris "Fuji engine" triple crankshafts are done, and have the proper parts and jigs.

Once the crankshaft is rebuilt, be sure someone checks it for run-out. It must be within specs, of course, for both run-out and indexing.

Then you will want to use new crankcase bearings and seals, and then build up the rest of the motor properly.

btw, is it really hard to disassemble the crankshaft? why is there a need to be familiar with the fuji engine??

Yes!!!!! You have to have the proper jigs and other equipment.
    btw, is it really hard to disassemble the crankshaft? why is there a need to be familiar with the fuji engine??

+1
    btw, is it really hard to disassemble the crankshaft?
    Why is there a need to be familiar with the Fuji engine??
    Hmmm, the specifics regarding actual crankshaft refurbishment don't seem to be present online here...?

The assembly must be pulled apart using a machine shop hydraulic press, which allows the connecting rod big ends to be removed. Then the bearings need to be replaced, after inspecting the bearing surfaces, and repairing any issues found.

Then each section of the crankshaft must be precision aligned and pressed back together, again using a hydraulic press. Shaft alignment and crank offsets for each section must be accurate and carefully checked.

What you end up with is a like-new assembly with new bearings, ready to drop into your crankcase.

Since Fuji crankshafts sometimes get torqued out of index, some re-builders weld the sections together, to reduce the chance of failure.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information