Codes 8 Coolant temp & 7 throttle pos 2003 R12X

I have an 03 R12X that started to have isues on my last outing. It run fine for a couple of minutes or so and flash the FI light and alarm and go into limp mode, I pulled lanyard and reset, or it would run fine until I shut it off. This happened 4 or 5 times and it was not running hot or anything odd. The codes are for the coolant temp sending unit and for throttle possition sensor and I'm sure they both did not go out at once. It is indicating/flashing 7,7,8 My question is has anyone else seen this and does it indicate one specific problem? I have a F12X to swap parts with to help trouble shoot.
    updated:
    I just checked the gray and black ecu connectors and had some condensation type moisture at pins, used electrical contact cleaner, blew out with air hose, will let air dry a while and will use a dab of grease on pins before reinstalling. I do have Macs stage 2 on this boat and I disconected the module when it first happend to rule it out. Any thoughts may be helpful.
    I almost always remove seats on skis to dry out hull but must not of on the last ride .....
    Last edited by fats97car; 02-12-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: updated info

Welcome to the HULK!!!

OOPS, I got to follow directions....

The reason I was getting codes 7 & 8 was I was not holding down the buttons for the full 5 seconds, and counting the flashes and beeps. Should be no beeps when reading the codes. It kicks code 25, knock sensor. Talked to dealer and they said it will most likely be an ECM as knock sensors don't fail too often. Does not sound good. I will swap parts from another ski and see what happens.

Please let us know what you find.

I work at a honda dealership in Ms and if you got a local dealership that is friendly and nice you could go get them to hook up the HDS its a honda special tool that reads all the ECM troubleshoot codes and that would be the quickest and simple way to do it. Won't take 20 min for them to do it. Best of luck!! Mark

Hey Fats97, I'm very interested in what you find. I'm getting the same code 7-7-7-8-7-7-7-8 and I am holding the two buttons for the 5 seconds and I've checked every sensor, wire, voltage, resistance and plug the book show. I've even checked the voltage at the ecm while it's running per the book and can't find the problem. I don't have a Honda ski dealer near me that has any more tools than I do. I'm trying to find another ecm somewhere without going to the dealer or Honda Parts. someone used to have one on the site fairly cheap but I can't remember who.

I was getting the 7 & 8 flashes/beeps becasue I was not holding down the SET and MODE button long enough and started counting before following all the way through procedure. It seemed basic enough but I still managed to goof it up, twice, before getting the actual code. My service check connector has 4 wires and jumped the brown to the green w/black tracer. If you are getting beeps from the buzzer you are not getting the actual code. My problem did turn out to be the knock sensor, code 25.
    It took me 2 tries to reset the ECM and I was following the book to the letter. Let me know what you find and good luck...

Thread Information