Choke and Steering Seized Up...HELP!!!

I have a 1995 Polaris SL650...I am in Cleveland and we are having some horrific weather. Due to the temperature, I thought I would go out and see how cold the jet ski was (as it is in my garage). I winterized the thing so there wasn't much I was going to touch on it, but when I tried to move the handlebars, they wouldn't budge.

I tried to pull the choke as well, and it was seized up as well. I fear the worst...I'm hoping it is just frozen (was -7 yesterday) but is there a good chance these are rusted permanently? Please someone tell me this has happened to them before....

+1
    Wait till she thaws out and then lube every thing. One of my steering columns were frozen with corrosion remove the bell crank and pull the bars out clean and re grease.

That makes me feel a lot better for now...I will check when it thaws and give everything a good lube job.

I forgot to mention though, the throttle is also seized up...any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kepneriphone View Post
    That makes me feel a lot better for now...I will check when it thaws and give everything a good lube job.

I forgot to mention though, the throttle is also seized up...any thoughts?
    If you can, use a cable lube injector to push fresh grease down the length of all the cables; steering, choke, throttle, reverse

Motorcycle shops often have them.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The warm spell you guys had proboliy created alot of condensation on the metal parts and then quick frozen when the temps dropped. In a month from now, any rust wouldn't be worst then it is now.But I really doubt anything rusted tight since last fall.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Nice to see you adam. More than likely frozen, wait till spring and lube everything as mentioned previously. Have you looked into fixing the low compression yet?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Nice to see you adam. More than likely frozen, wait till spring and lube everything as mentioned previously. Have you looked into fixing the low compression yet?
    Yeah I'm looking into buying the parts when I get a chance so that I can fix that cylinder with the low compression. From talking with people, that is all I can deduce as to why the thing was dying at WOT. You saw it, you still think that was the issue?

Any advice on where and what I should buy/next steps on looking into that cylinder and what to look for?

+1
    Low compression would have alot to do with poor performance, not sure it would cause it to shut off at WOT. We'd need to see the piston tops to see what's really happening internally.

Was there any water in the water/fuel seperator? wasn't your fuel cap cracked?

Need to see how bad the cylinder is to determine the correct piston you'll need to buy.

So will it be obvious that the cylinder is damaged? Will there be significant scoring etc. accompanied with a messed up cylinder? As far as the piston is concerned, will there most likely be obvious signs of wear and tear on that too?

+1
    There will be some obvious damge. Either bad rings, scored piston, scored cyl walss or a combination of the. PM John Zigler or Jabbas and see if they have a good 650 cylinder and piston to match. That should be your cheapest route.

Thread Information