Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lake Mead Could Dry Up by 2021...

We have a place on Lake Mead. I'm sure you guys have seen my Sea-Doo pictures.

If this happens, say good-bye to Las Vegas and surrounding areas like Phoenix.

"In 2003, Nevada led the nation in population growth for the 17th year, according to the state demographer. About 80% of new residents moved to Las Vegas or nearby."

"The Las Vegas area draws 85% of its water — 297,000 acre-feet in 2003 — from Lake Mead, Ricci said. The rest comes from underground wells. An acre-foot can supply a family for a year."

http://www.mindfully.org/Water/2004/...irst7mar04.htm

Lake Mead Could Dry Up by 2021

By Andrea Thompson, LiveScience Staff Writer
    posted: 12 February 2008 02:17 pm ET

Lake Mead, a key source of water for millions of people in the southwestern United States, could go dry by 2021, a new study finds.

The study concludes that natural forces such as evaporation, changes wrought by global warming and the increasing demand from the booming Southwest population are creating a deficit from this part of the Colorado River system.

Along with Lake Powell, which is on the border between Arizona and Utah, Lake Mead supplies roughly 8 million people in the cities of Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Diego, among others, with critical water supplies.

The system is currently only at half capacity thanks to a recent string of dry years, researchers say.

The study’s findings indicated that there is a 10 percent chance that Lake Mead could be dry by 2014 and a 50 percent chance that reservoir levels will drop too low to allow hydroelectric power generation by 2017. There is a 50 percent chance the lake will go dry by 2021, the study says.

Researchers say that even if water agencies follow their current drought contingency plans, those measures might not be enough to counter natural forces, especially if the region enters a period of sustained drought or if human-induced climate changes occur as currently predicted.

"We were stunned at the magnitude of the problem and how fast it was coming at us," said study coauthor Tim Barnett of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography of the University of California at San Diego. "Make no mistake, this water problem is not a scientific abstraction, but rather one that will impact each and every one of us that live in the Southwest."

Several studies in recent years have predicted a prolonged period of drought in the Southwest as a result of global warming.

The team's analysis of Federal Bureau of Reclamation records of past water demand and calculations of scheduled water allocations and climate conditions indicate that the system could run dry even if mitigation measures now being proposed are implemented.

"It's likely to mean real changes to how we live and do business in this region," said coauthor David Pierce, a climate scientist at Scripps.

The new study has been accepted for publication in the journal Water Resources Research.

http://www.livescience.com/environme...lake-mead.html

Thoughts? Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Thoughts? Comments?
    You're screwed...
    sorry

JP

the sky is falling!!

Made headline news today. Pretty serious shit.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Made headline news today. Pretty serious shit.

Don't worry, global warming will increase rainfall and you'kk be ok

As soon as I saw "global warming" in the article. I realized that all will be fine. Either buy some of Gore's carbon offsets, or wait until Gore gets bored with his GoreBal warming scam...and go skiing!

P.S. I'm doing my part to help your situation...my 4 stroke leaves nothing behind, but SeeDoos.

+1
    Texas was dry 2 yrs ago NOT NOW The 07 season was to be the most active hurricane season in decades. NOT NOW Ga/ had the worst drought in 20 years. Were half caught up on rainfall now. ( no thanks to the Army corp of engineers) They accidentally dropped Lanier by 2 feet It's gotta be Global Warming.

Pretty soon the deer won't be allowed to $hit in the woods and an enviromentalist will follow then with a pooper scooper and clean up after them.

My Dad has a feedlot and the DNR made him put in a retention pond for manure runoff. This because the DNR saw ducks and geese eating the leftover corn in the water way before the small pond. The Goverment paid for 90 percent of it ($90,000) About the size of and olympic pool.

After it was completed and certified by the engineer.... the DNR came to check it. The DNR district manager came around the corner and saw 14 adult ducks and 19 baby ducks in the retention pond DIVING for the corn. The DNR guy turned around in disgust and said; "that didn't work so well" and drove off.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    Texas was dry 2 yrs ago NOT NOW The 07 season was to be the most active hurricane season in decades. NOT NOW Ga/ had the worst drought in 20 years. Were half caught up on rainfall now. ( no thanks to the Army corp of engineers) They accidentally dropped Lanier by 2 feet It's gotta be Global Warming.

Pretty soon the deer won't be allowed to $hit in the woods and an enviromentalist will follow then with a pooper scooper and clean up after them.

My Dad has a feedlot and the DNR made him put in a retention pond for manure runoff. This because the DNR saw ducks and geese eating the leftover corn in the water way before the small pond. The Goverment paid for 90 percent of it ($90,000) About the size of and olympic pool.

After it was completed and certified by the engineer.... the DNR came to check it. The DNR district manager came around the corner and saw 14 adult ducks and 19 baby ducks in the retention pond DIVING for the corn. The DNR guy turned around in disgust and said; "that didn't work so well" and drove off.
    I wonder what exactly made him think the ducks would stop eating the corn just because it was now in a retention pond?

Remeber the 11 scariest words in the english language are:
    "I am from the government, and I am here to help"

You never know what the future holds, but I always find stories like this one disturbing, regardless.

I would not be too worried about it. I am sure there is a pool or two somewhere....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information