Removing 1300 head ??

Im going to removing the head today off of the GP1300 and sending it to Jim to be milled. This is the first time that I am doing this. Is there anything I should know ? I did a search but not much came back..

Same thing for Re-Installing. Do I need a new gasket ? Is removing a layer from the gasket a recommended thing to do ?

TIA

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MIARider View Post
    Im going to removing the head today off of the GP1300 and sending it to Jim to be milled. This is the first time that I am doing this. Is there anything I should know ? I did a search but not much came back..

Same thing for Re-Installing. Do I need a new gasket ? Is removing a layer from the gasket a recommended thing to do ?

TIA
    removing a gasket gives you like 5-7 lb compression I believe.

+1
    each head bolt has a number next to it. loosen all the bolts going from highest to lowest. same way installing it. download the manual found as a sticky in the how to section. if you dont damage the gasket you can use it again. 1 layer taken off will give you 5-7 more psi. when you put the head back on make sure you follow the numbers and the manual. there are 2 steps in torqueing the head.

talk to jim about the gasket setup, im sure he has a baseline for everyone to start with....and it doesnt matter what order you take the bolts off, just make sure you follow the order when you re-install..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post
    talk to jim about the gasket setup, im sure he has a baseline for everyone to start with....and it doesnt matter what order you take the bolts off, just make sure you follow the order when you re-install..
    i always reverse everything i do. that's how i ruined my head gasket on my last car. but oh well

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1

TIA
    It's a good idea to put a new gasket. You do not need to put 1 layer because the head is machined so use a full gasket and torque to specs.

Using 1 layer of gasket is risky, possible water leaks into cylinder. Do you want to take the risk of blowing your motor or just have the head machined for the compression you want?

Thanks guys, we removed the head tonight and is being shipped to Jim in the morning. I guess i'm keeping the stock gasket the way it comes. I do have a few ?'s that i need to clear up.

Are the stock head bolts reusable ?

Anything I should know at the time of reinstalling the head ?

+1
    Thanks guys, we removed the head tonight and is being shipped to Jim in the morning. I guess i'm keeping the stock gasket the way it comes. I do have a few ?'s that i need to clear up.

Are the stock head bolts reusable ?

Anything I should know at the time of reinstalling the head ?
    stock head bolts are reusable, just make sure you follow sequence on tightening. do not use loctite. you did download the manual for torque specs right? other that that you will be fine. you'll love the head.

Thread Information