Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Towing with a front wheel drive car

Hi,

I just sold my big rear wheel drive sedan and we are looking at getting a medium size car. But the issue I have is that 90% of the cars we like are all FWD and I am not sure how a FWD will go with pulling a 400kg trailer with Jet Ski out of the water and up a ramp??

We are looking at something like a new Mondeo or Mazda6, both are FWD 2300cc 4cly or above. Not so worried about power, but more the fact that there is no weight over the front wheels when trying to pull the ski out of the water. Hopefully some of the UK boys or girls can help.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    our familys pulled our gpr out of the water with a front wheel drive car..

dunno if this helps..

My car is FWD and I use it to take my family's 20ft. pontoon boat out of the water with no problems at all. So I think it can take out my ski too.

Usually I use my 350 Suzuki quad to put in and take out my ski, so again if it can handle my ski I know your FWD car can.

+1
    think it depends on your car,tires, and ramp angle even condition of the ramp to be honest what might work for one person might not for another. i saw a guy try and pull out a small craft about the 10'ft boat out the water with a fwd mini van an he just barely got out. i believe a decent size boat or 2 jetskis he wouldn't have got them out.

i would imagine if you did it with a rwd a fwd would be okay.

+1
    used to tow my pair of gpr's or a gpr and xlt with a chevy venture minivan. never had a problem at all towing or pulling them out. 200 hp if it matters

+1
    You know, when I was kid... My dad had a front wheel drive vehicle with a six cylinder, (chevy citation). We used to pull a 17 foot boat... I'll never forget seeing ma sit on the hood as the front tire spun up the ramp. lol...

Yea, anyways i think you'll be fine as long as the ramp is in decent shape and your tires aren't bald... sigh, the good ol days

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post
    You know, when I was kid... My dad had a front wheel drive vehicle with a six cylinder, (chevy citation). We used to pull a 17 foot boat... I'll never forget seeing ma sit on the hood as the front tire spun up the ramp. lol...

Yea, anyways i think you'll be fine as long as the ramp is in decent shape and your tires aren't bald... sigh, the good ol days

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post

I think any modern mid size front driver should do alright as long as the ramp is not overly steep.

Me I hedged my bet, I have 4x4

Yea the ramp that I go to is pretty steep but it is a rough surface. The car would be brand new.

I dont want to buy a 4x4 just to be able to tow the ski. Like I said the car that we are looking at is the size of a US Honda Accord.

I'll speak to the car dealers and see what they say. All the cars are rated to tow an unbreaked trailer of upto 600kg.

Cheers
    Last edited by XtRmn8; 02-13-2008 at 10:24 PM.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Yea the ramp that I go to is pretty steep but it is a rough surface. The car would be brand new.

I dont want to buy a 4x4 just to be able to tow the ski. Like I said the car that we are looking at is the size of a US Honda Accord.

I'll speak to the car dealers and see what they say. All the cars are rated to tow an unbreaked trailer of upto 600kg.

Cheers
    You should be good then. I would avoid launching during rainy weather

I didn't just buy mine for ski towing I wanted an Avalanche since I saw the concept pics in Motor Trend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information