models models...

Hi All,

I posted a thread on the Seadoo general discussion that might have been better placed here (now that I've found it). I'm after specs for different models from different years - there seems to be some crossover. If you wouldn't mind check out my other thread and if you can help I'd be hugely grateful!

Cheers!

Ok, i'll try to shed some light on the older versus the newer models, i understand your points, the line up quite changed a bit and this could be confusing.I'll name the models in their size to power from the smallest to the biggest ones.

The older ones: speedster and challenger 1800 & 2000,were available mostly with 2 strokes engines in twin engine config. and lenght ranging from 15 to 20 feet long. You also got the Utopia 185 (18.5 feet hull) comfy boat the Challenger and the Utopia were also sometimes powered by some single V6 mercury Jet also with a 2 stroke engine.

The newer models: Now you got the little 14 feet sportster to start with, had a single 1503 4tec 155HP, that later the similar boat was renamed the speedster 160 and came with either 155HP or 215HP SCIC all in a 15.5 feet hull. Then after that one you got the current Challenger 180 (18 feet hull) boat which got a single 215HP SCIC 4tec engine, and the Utopia 205 (20.5 feet hull) which is now powered with twin 4 tec engine either (2x155HP or 2x215HP). Then you get the Speedster 200, who have the 20 feet long hull either powered by 2x155HP or 2x215HP. And then the newest hulls made are the Challenger 230 and Wake 230, which also have the same twin 4tec combinations but in a 23 feet long hull.

There you go...now you have it...as you said some models changed in their line-up positions over time.

models models

Thanks Jeepster, you're a gem. It IS confusing, especially when you see sportsters and speedsters named differently but being very very similar boats! This is the size I'm interested in too. Dou youhave any experience/knowledge about/with the Yamaha jet boats? They seem bigger and less sporty, have only just come across them. Seadoo looks the goods!

Cheers

Oz.

Don't know anything about Yamaha Jetboats, you should check on their own sportboat forums, as for myself i really don't like the way they look...i found them weird looking...but it's personnal.
    Last edited by Jeepster; 02-19-2008 at 07:23 PM.

+1
    In 2000 - 2003 the Speedster came with the Merc v6 240hp. This is a very good package and one motor to maintain.

Tons of names for the same boats.

Up until 1999 all boats were rotax 2 stroke powered. Either single or twins. 2000-05
    18ft and up were mercury powered. 14.5s known as challengers-speedsters-
    sportsters were all rotax powered- 2stroke. 4-techs came into the 15ft
    02 or 03. All 18ft and up became 4-tech powered in 06. Check out jetboating .net for specifics on colors etc. There is also a dealer page out
    there with the break down of boats by year.

models...

I've read about the Rotax motors, mostly positive - some negative comments about 2 strokes. I assume the Mercury motors are 4 strokes - are they saltwater cooled or do they have sealed radiator systems?

Am I right in assuming the single and twin speedsters and similar smaller boats are Rotax 2 strokes still? Are they reliable?

Thanks for the info everyone!

Cheers

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Up until 1999 all boats were rotax 2 stroke powered. Either single or twins. 2000-05
    18ft and up were mercury powered. 14.5s known as challengers-speedsters-
    sportsters were all rotax powered- 2stroke. 4-techs came into the 15ft
    02 or 03. All 18ft and up became 4-tech powered in 06. Check out jetboating .net for specifics on colors etc. There is also a dealer page out
    there with the break down of boats by year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozplanman View Post
    I've read about the Rotax motors, mostly positive - some negative comments about 2 strokes. I assume the Mercury motors are 4 strokes - are they saltwater cooled or do they have sealed radiator systems?

Am I right in assuming the single and twin speedsters and similar smaller boats are Rotax 2 strokes still? Are they reliable?

Thanks for the info everyone!

Cheers

S.
    Mercury motors are 2 strokes

200hp = Optimax (DI)
    210hp = Carb
    240hp = EFI
    250hp = Optimax (DI)

I have a '98 Challenger 1800. It has the twin 787 2 stroke Rotax engines. They are each rated for 110HP and pull strong. It just stinks that they are fuel drinking carbureted engines.

Thread Information