Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

SHO driveline problem?

Spoke with a few Yamaha guys at the Miami show today and they mentioned a problem they have been experiencing with the new SHOs.

I was a bit unconvinced but since I just got a new SHO I thought it be worth mentioning here on this forum for feedback.

Apparently, some dealers have been reving the engine out of water wthout load on the impeller. There is an intermediary driveshaft that lossens (Not properly tightened from the factory) and causes the impeller to jam, this requres a special tool to tighten this shaft. I was told that yamaha dealers have a special tool being sent to them. I asked for specific detail of the part and this was the best explanation they could give me.

Apparently this only happens during the first time out as the shaft tightens itself when the ski is under load.

Anyone else heard of this problem? My ski is being exported this weekend so I would love to know if this is true.
    Last edited by Antiguan FZR; 02-14-2008 at 06:05 PM.

I'm not comparing the VX to the Sho, but this does sound similar.

When I first bought my VX110 3 years ago, my dealer said the same thing. Don't rev without load on the impeller. But I told him what happens when you rev to flush out the waterbox? "well don't rev it out of the water!, thats what Yamaha told us". I was a little confused. All he said was how smart the engine managment system was and how Yamaha engineered the crap out of it to protect itself.
    As for the shaft loosening up, it doesn't sound right that Yamaha would want the shaft to tighten with load from the first ride. Must be a mix up at the factory or these Yamaha guys at the boat show don't really work for Yamaha. Why would they let that kind of news out at a boat show?

Anyways my .02
    Last edited by Brewster; 02-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.

+1
    pretty sure the HO's have a drive "reduction gear" to lower the rpm's of the MR1 engines.....does the SHO have it as well???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    pretty sure the HO's have a drive "reduction gear" to lower the rpm's of the MR1 engines.....does the SHO have it as well???
    There is no reduction gear on the SHO series.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack View Post
    There is no reduction gear on the SHO series.
    Not on the SHO. HO's revved to something like 10K on the tach. The gear reduction turned that into a more usable RPM. SHO redlines at like 8K??

+1
    Spoke to a few people and they confirmed that they have been having this problem. No one knows how many skis are affected at this time

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    Spoke to a few people and they confirmed that they have been having this problem. No one knows how many skis are affected at this time
    Riva Crew responded to this on PWCToday. Said it was not a big deal. And dealers were fixing affected craft before bieng sold.

Dont pin this problem to just Yamaha. The Kawi 250 also spun off new props doing pump damage.

After a few times out doing hard riding then the pump and shaft will tighten and this wont be an issue anymore. Then you can blow out the motor when flushing.

These 4-strokes like to be pampered in the start. With all these parts these things have, it will not be surprising if your boat has to go back in after 4 hrs for some adjusting and tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    Spoke with a few Yamaha guys at the Miami show today and they mentioned a problem they have been experiencing with the new SHOs.

I was a bit unconvinced but since I just got a new SHO I thought it be worth mentioning here on this forum for feedback.

Apparently, some dealers have been reving the engine out of water wthout load on the impeller. There is an intermediary driveshaft that lossens (Not properly tightened from the factory) and causes the impeller to jam, this requres a special tool to tighten this shaft. I was told that yamaha dealers have a special tool being sent to them. I asked for specific detail of the part and this was the best explanation they could give me.

Apparently this only happens during the first time out as the shaft tightens itself when the ski is under load.

Anyone else heard of this problem? My ski is being exported this weekend so I would love to know if this is true.
    Very true , once you ride it the first time you are good.
    Even after its rode you still dont want to turn it hard on the trailer like other ski's.

+1
    Got a call from my dealer this morning and they wanted me to bring my SHO in to fix the problem. As my ski is already on a ship to the Caribbean I am kinda screwed. They stated that its a warranty problem and any dealer will honor the warranty. Also they did not want me to ride it before the problem was fixed. Wish I could get a parts diagram showing the lose part so I could fix it myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information