Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cylinder Boring????

Im rebuildnig my 02 Virage 700 and in the manual it says the exhaust needs to be mounted to the cylinders before honing. So do i need to take the exhaust to the machine shop when i have it bored? Are there any other strange things like this i should know about? I've never worked on a Polaris before and i doubt the local machine shop has.
    Also should i switch to premix or are the oil pump reliable?
    Last edited by woollums; 02-14-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    what book are you using? I never heard of such a thing. My book only goes to the 96 700 and doesn't mention anything like that. I could see if it were in an assembly process and they wanted things to line up, but for boring or honing it don't sound right.

I read tech stuff like that every once in a while but thats perfect world stuff IMHO or racing $$ I doubt you could find a machinist willing to do all that extra effort

+1
    I have a 2000 Factory Manual and it states: On Polaris 700 engines, it is important to bolt exhaust manifold to cylinders to be honed and torqued to specification before honing. It says nothing about this procedure for boring. page 4.49

Welcome to the forums!!

I have to agree with Z. I know what the manual says, but I have never heard of anybody doing it that way.

As far as the oil injection goes. yea it's fairly reliable, however I still premix. To me it's a slight inconvenience but nice insurance to premix.

This is not expert advise, just my opinions. Take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by woollums View Post
    Im rebuildnig my 02 Virage 700 and in the manual it says the exhaust needs to be mounted to the cylinders before honing. So do i need to take the exhaust to the machine shop when i have it bored? Are there any other strange things like this i should know about? I've never worked on a Polaris before and i doubt the local machine shop has.
    Also should i switch to premix or are the oil pump reliable?
    Torquing the manifold to the cylinders while honing ensures that any distortion to the cylinders caused by the bolts being torqued is accounted for during the hone. Common practice for hiperf auto engines and damn sure can't hurt!

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Group K does this for most applications. There is a very good article about it in their tech section.

Is there a way to test the oil pump?

The engine spun a rod bearing and broke a piston (purchased this way). How can i tell what caused the failure? I just don't want to do this all again this summer.

group k ,brought it up it for triples also like the 2 I finished 20 hrs ago but you are running a 2 cyl's .IMHO it's not something a rec rider does or can even afford or can source. but for the definitive answer quiz randy at Watcon.com ! and the good thing about auto motors is they usually have a torque plate to simulate the bolt on's or peripherals instead of the user supplying all of the above Z
    Last edited by ZMANN; 02-14-2008 at 11:59 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    BB is correct, I read the domestics had a problem with the manifolds pulling the cylinder out of round. So bolting the manifold up prior to honing should take care of the distortion issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information