+1

Help Find Jet Skis lost at Sea in Texas

Bad day--Lost skiis--lessons learned
    Here's the story:

We went out to jump some surf off the coast of Dauphin Island, AL before some bad weather arrived. Everything was good, we both left work mid-day and was on the water by about 1:30pm. The best surf break is about 2.5 miles offshore and we had a great time jumping waves. (He was riding a Kawasaki Ultra 150 and I was on a WB1).

After about 2 hours of riding, we decided it was time to go so we started back to shore. Just a short distance after we decided to head in, my ski died and would not start again. (I think it ingested some water). My buddy stopped also to hook up the tow rope. Then his ski would not start.

We were adrift. There were no other boats out and the only signal device we had was the useless whistles that we each possessed. The tide was moving us in but extremely slowly. It became apparent that after about 1 hour, we would not be able to make shore before the bad weather hit and/or darkness set in. We made the decision to swim the 1.5+ miles to shore leaving the skiis behind.

The extremely bad weather moved in quickly and hit during our swim. There were waterspouts and tornadoes reported; lightening was stiking everywhere. This made for extremely rough seas in which to swim. We finally made it in after an exhaustive swim. Unfortunately, the tides and winds shifted and carried our skiis out.

We called Sea Tow and they went out looking for our boats but had no luck. We also reported the lost skiis to the Coast Guard and other autorities.

While we remain hopeful, it doesn't look good for us getting our skiis back. Keep on the lookout for a along the gulf coast for a Red 1996 Waveblaster 1 (stock except for ride plate/intake grate & Riva Red Pipe exhaust) and a White 2004 Ultra 150 with a custom copper colored hood. Someone might find them and bring them to a dealer/or mechanic for service or possibly place them up for sale. If anyone has any leads I can be emailed at: [email protected]

Lesson learned--Always prepare for the worst. Make sure you have a communication device. Maintain a reasonable distance from shore in inclement weather or late in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Bad day--Lost skiis--lessons learned
    Here's the story:

We went out to jump some surf off the coast of Dauphin Island, AL before some bad weather arrived. Everything was good, we both left work mid-day and was on the water by about 1:30pm. The best surf break is about 2.5 miles offshore and we had a great time jumping waves. (He was riding a Kawasaki Ultra 150 and I was on a WB1).

After about 2 hours of riding, we decided it was time to go so we started back to shore. Just a short distance after we decided to head in, my ski died and would not start again. (I think it ingested some water). My buddy stopped also to hook up the tow rope. Then his ski would not start.

We were adrift. There were no other boats out and the only signal device we had was the useless whistles that we each possessed. The tide was moving us in but extremely slowly. It became apparent that after about 1 hour, we would not be able to make shore before the bad weather hit and/or darkness set in. We made the decision to swim the 1.5+ miles to shore leaving the skiis behind.

The extremely bad weather moved in quickly and hit during our swim. There were waterspouts and tornadoes reported; lightening was stiking everywhere. This made for extremely rough seas in which to swim. We finally made it in after an exhaustive swim. Unfortunately, the tides and winds shifted and carried our skiis out.

We called Sea Tow and they went out looking for our boats but had no luck. We also reported the lost skiis to the Coast Guard and other autorities.

While we remain hopeful, it doesn't look good for us getting our skiis back. Keep on the lookout for a along the gulf coast for a Red 1996 Waveblaster 1 (stock except for ride plate/intake grate & Riva Red Pipe exhaust) and a White 2004 Ultra 150 with a custom copper colored hood. Someone might find them and bring them to a dealer/or mechanic for service or possibly place them up for sale. If anyone has any leads I can be emailed at: [email protected]

Lesson learned--Always prepare for the worst. Make sure you have a communication device. Maintain a reasonable distance from shore in inclement weather or late in the day.
    What's the rule on finders keepers on the wide Blue H20??????

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    What's the rule on finders keepers on the wide Blue H20??????
    It has always been 'keepers'...abandoned vessels are owner less.

I have watched my ski idling towards Mexico, when I was knocked off in the Gulf of Mexico, and after giving up as for 'catching' it, it took a slow starboard turn, and I was able to reach up and grab the lanyard. I had forgot to reattach the lanyard to my wrist after taking my shirt off....

Every since that day, I have stowed my personal info in a sealed pouch in the storage compartment. I tell the finder that I will reward them, if they find my ski, and make contact. Whatever, or not, this will work is something that I hope to never find out.

Good luck in finding yours!

I would have been more afraid to leave my ski and swim, I would rather swim my ski back just for visibility ( like walking away from your vehicle in the desert) reasons if the swim went wrong! what a cruddy feeling losing a ski hope they are found and returned !

+1

Cool

it sounds like the most important decision to save personal life first ( self preservation ) was in place. Glad they survived the situation and people can see just how quick mother nature can turn things. As for the skis, I hope they get found, if not, atleast they are Alive.

I agree I wasn't there and glad for that! Z

I agree with all you guys. all have good points. I, myself will stay with with the ski. I have in my first aid kit some medication for passing time and listeninig to the tunes of "macarena" helps ease the bordome of waiting for help. As far as going out of the country like Mexico, I always bring Big Brenda, she's 1 of a kind and listed on the endangered species.

Thread Information