Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cooling 4-tec engines outside water

Just a question!!!!

Because of closed cooling system i wonder if it is possible to operate more than 2 or 3 minutes outside the water our engine by continue spray water to the ride plate with any garden accessory or even with the <ears> they use for outboard engines. Will this procedure keep the engine cool or not?

Chris

it won't cool the exhaust.

Hello!!! i mean a separete spray water for the ride plate. Of course the exhaust will be flushed at the same time but i dont know if by sparying the ride plate will be cool enough the engine. What do you think?

i don't kmow the answer to your question, but you do have to worry about the carbon seal around the drive shaft also. That seal is cooled and lubricated by water, when the ski is in the water.

running

You can run them w/ the flush hose for about 5 minutes w/ out any heavy throttling. If you run in salt water you should do it after every run, if not...well do it as you please. I do it every few runs just cause. Never had a problem..I don't goose the throttle a bunch though when running out of water. Just keeping the exhaust cool for 5 minutes or less will be just fine.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    THe 5 minute run rule for out of water operation is because of the carbon wear ring, when its out of the water it is not cooled and can warp thus turning you ski into a submarine

Darth

So what are you saying when it comes to cooling? 2-3 minutes or don't run at all? I know I really do not have to run mine out of water but the salties do. How hard is it to replace the carbon ring? Isn't it in that rubber boot around the drive shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by rxpwhistler1 View Post
    So what are you saying when it comes to cooling? 2-3 minutes or don't run at all? I know I really do not have to run mine out of water but the salties do. How hard is it to replace the carbon ring? Isn't it in that rubber boot around the drive shaft?
    The rule is to not run more then 5 minuts out of water, anything less is ok.

Yes the carbon ring is under the rubber boot, and it is some what hard to change, you have to pull the pump and drive shaft in order to replace it.

Darth

Gotcha, I never run my ski out of water for more than a minute or two. Let it idle and give it a couple of light revs. My ski only has 35 hours on it so I am not going to bother with changing the carbon ring. I have the pump off anyways but driveshaft is still in place. Just doubt my carbon ring is anything shy of being in great shape.

Thanks for the info bro

Quote Originally Posted by rxpwhistler1 View Post
    Gotcha, I never run my ski out of water for more than a minute or two. Let it idle and give it a couple of light revs. My ski only has 35 hours on it so I am not going to bother with changing the carbon ring. I have the pump off anyways but driveshaft is still in place. Just doubt my carbon ring is anything shy of being in great shape.

Thanks for the info bro
    If you are not taking on water while riding your carbon ring is fine and dandy, sound like you've been taking great care of your ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information