Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hand gun recommendations?

I went for my first time with my wife's cousin and shot his Glock .45 cal 30 model and I've had such a hard-on since... I thought this was a great gun but just want to hear anyone's suggestions on a first time handgun owner's recommendations.... my groupings I was told were spectacular, but if I could get a cheaper equivelant I'd concider it... I had A retarded amount of fun (shot around 200 rounds) and really like the way the Glock shot, but I know there are cheaper guns available... I plan on blowing a ton of rounds (definately a stress reducer) and was just wondering if any one had any other recommendations... I really want a gun for home security/ target shooting.... Like I said, I really enjoyed shooting but don't want to be bored with a 9mm or something small, I was told I handled the .45 very well for a first timer... Any input would be appreciated to the fullest!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmssikes View Post
    I went for my first time with my wife's cousin and shot his Glock .45 cal 30 model and I've had such a hard-on since... I thought this was a great gun but just want to hear anyone's suggestions on a first time handgun owner's recommendations.... my groupings I was told were spectacular, but if I could get a cheaper equivelant I'd concider it... I had A retarded amount of fun (shot around 200 rounds) and really like the way the Glock shot, but I know there are cheaper guns available... I plan on blowing a ton of rounds (definately a stress reducer) and was just wondering if any one had any other recommendations... I really want a gun for home security/ target shooting.... Like I said, I really enjoyed shooting but don't want to be bored with a 9mm or something small, I was told I handled the .45 very well for a first timer... Any input would be appreciated to the fullest!
    I don't believe there is an equivilant to the Glock. There is Kimber but it isn't exactly a cheaper alternative. There are some other 1911 based .45 that are good to but you pay for quality.

But if you like the Glock, bite the bullet (so to speak), and save up for one, and definatly search the used market and gun shows.

The best deal I found was Academy Sports has the Glock .45 30 model for $520ish

Doesn't seem too bad, but I was looking at a Smith and Weston .40cal for 350, but read some "semi" decent reviews on it....

I just want something I won't get bored with and will keep a long time... and I've heard the glocks last pretty much forever (or what from what I've told).... Plus I really liked getting a "big gun" off!

Plus... an extra bill or so knowing that it will work everytime... just in case someone decided to come in "unannounced" is a big selling point.

I have had a Glock for about three years now. I have a 38cal and acouple of other but the Glock gets the most round fired. Shoots great and now you got me thinking about getting another one LOL

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmssikes View Post
    The best deal I found was Academy Sports has the Glock .45 30 model for $520ish

Doesn't seem too bad, but I was looking at a Smith and Weston .40cal for 350, but read some "semi" decent reviews on it....

I just want something I won't get bored with and will keep a long time... and I've heard the glocks last pretty much forever (or what from what I've told).... Plus I really liked getting a "big gun" off!

Plus... an extra bill or so knowing that it will work everytime... just in case someone decided to come in "unannounced" is a big selling point.
    $520 is not too bad, heck I want to spend $800 on a Kimber. Don't forget that Glock is far and away the #1 coice of law enforcement in this country and its not because they are the cheapest.

+1
    Nothing wrong with the 9mm, cheapest to shoot and will work well for a defense gun with the premium hollow points( Gold Dots, Rangers, Golden Sabers etc.) The Glock 19 would be close to the same size as the Glock 30, just not as wide. With the crazy ammo prices of today a lot of people are going back to the 9mm so they can afford to shoot more. If you get current ammo prices you may decide that the 9mm is not such a bad choice, the 45s are great guns but they cost about twice as much to shoot.

I just loved the power of the .45 rounds.... I know the 9mm is not a bad choice... but if someone was "uninvited" (skeezed out on meth out or cracked out crazy person) I know the .45 would stop them dead in their tracks without question, plus the ammo didn't seem too much more....

+1
    Yes the 45 is a good round, but nothing says it will stop them any better than any of the other defense rounds. I have seen both take care of their fair share of problems however. That said lots of folks take comfort in the near 1/2" slug that they spit out.

+1
    Sig & Sauer P229(40 cal ) or Glock 23( 40 cal) is a good choice...

+1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information