Removing the Fuel Selector Valve

Im new to this site and not experienced as a mechanic yet but im using my 95 slt 750 as a project. Anyway, I ordered the new fuel pump needed for this thing but i was wondering if I even needed to leave the fuel selector valve on at all. If I were to bypass the selector valve with the reserve line what sort of problems would that cause with the computer if any? Also, any suggestions for cheap power increases I would be appriciated.

Btw I love this ride. Its ancient as hell and outruns our 1100cc yamaha on anything but glass water. Plus the 3 cylinder engine just sounds better than those sick little 2 cylinders toys.

Water Bum
    Welcome to the HULK!!!!!!!!

Water Bum
    Yes you need your fuel slector valve. If the popoff valve fails in the carb, it will siphon fuel into the engine. NOT good!!! IF you do not want to use the valve you can install a another on/off valve in the fuel lines.....

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reccashi View Post
    I'm new to this site and not experienced as a mechanic yet but I'm using my '95 SLT750 as a project.

Anyway, I ordered the new fuel pump needed for this thing but I was wondering if I even needed to leave the fuel selector valve on at all. If I were to bypass the selector valve with the reserve line what sort of problems would that cause with the computer if any?

Also, any suggestions for cheap power increases I would be appreciated.

Btw I love this ride. Its ancient as hell and outruns our 1100cc Yamaha on anything but glass water. Plus the 3 cylinder engine just sounds better than those sick little 2 cylinders toys.
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Replacing the fuel pump implies that you have been doing some reading, and possibly some searching on these forums. Which is where the info is.

If your SLT has an MFD display, what RPM are you seeing at full throttle? What upgrades or changes from factory does it have now?

There are a number of common upgrades and improvements for your Fuji engined model. Replacing or rebuilding the fuel pump is one (often to a triple outlet pump), replacing all the old fuel lines is another important item, including those inside the tank.

The fuel selector can develop air leaks internally, so you may want to pull it apart, clean it up, install new O rings and a little lube, and put it back together with new fuel lines. It is important to have a reserve fuel mode, for those times when someone just forgets about the fuel levels, and you are out there with less gas than you thought you had.

Do some searches, then ask your questions!
    Any year (1992-1997) Polaris SL or SLT with a 650, 750, or even 780 engine will have very similar configurations to your SLT750. The Pro785 is also a Fuji engine, but differs in a number of ways from all the others.

If you haven't already, download the PDF manual from the mattman link in the Polaris Technical section.

BTW, we love clear detailed photos here. Often someone will spot things that need your attention, just from looking at a few pictures.

Update your profile with your location and other info. There may be another helpful Green Hulker nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    BTW, we love clear detailed photos here. Often someone will spot things that need attention, just from looking at a few pictures..
    Specially if you include your wife or girlfriend in these pics

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!!
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. You can open up the selector valve and clean/rebuild it. Or you can buy a new one for a Sea Doo and install it for around $15.

As for HP boost, use the search button, or check out the projects section and see what's available.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE
    +1
    I ALSO WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO THE GREENHULK
    when you are ready to take that slt to the edge AND STEP OVER THAT EDGE--->>> http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13374
    HAVE FUN AND ENJOY
    MATTMAN

Thread Information