Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

4-tec stator output?

Hi guys. I am installing a second battery in my 05rxp for a stereo install. I want to run a battery isolator so that the second battery will pick up some charge without risking draging down my primary battery. The isolators that i have found are a bit large. I have spotted one for an outboard application that might work and is much smaller. Most outboards don't have more than a 40 amp charging system. Does anybody here know what our stators put out at 8100 and 8500 rpm?

Thanks John

+1
    Not sure about the 05 but the 06 puts out 380 watts @6000 rpm's.

Power(watts) = volts * amps So to find amps just divide watts by voltage

380 / 12 = 31.67 amps

+1
    Thanks for that info Wake. Any idea if thats the max watts/amps it puts out, or does it increase beyond that with more rpm?

Thanks John

good info tommy i need that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by outboard john View Post
    Thanks for that info Wake. Any idea if thats the max watts/amps it puts out, or does it increase beyond that with more rpm?

Thanks John
    I do not beleive it will put out any more amps than that due to the fact that the highest rated fuse in the system is a 30 amp. There are 3 of them, one for the battery, one for the main and one for the charging system. So the stator won't put out more than that or it would blow the fuses

+1
    Thanks for the reply Wake. I think your probably right about the the stator output, but i'm wondering if the voltage regulator/rectafier handles (limits) the current. As i'm shopping on line for isolators it seems the lowest amperage handling you find is 70 amps. Some automotive and boat alternators put out 100 amps or more and i don't think they have fuses rated over 30 amps. I wish I understood the hole system better. In any case i'm sure the isolators will be more than adequate for our application. Thanks for the imput.

John

Try one of these. I bought one but haven't installed it yet.......It came highly recommended by some boat owners.

http://shop.pkys.com/index.asp?PageA...ROD&ProdID=928

+1
    John if you can't find an isolator then try to find a diode with the voltage/amperage requirements of the gear you plan on running and put it in line with the wire you hook up to the second battery for charging, basically "isolating" the second battery from the main system draw. The charging wire is the red/blu wire found on the battery side of the starter soleniod. The diode is like a one-way valve, it will let currant flow only one way. Give that a shot, probably will be far less expensive.

One last suggestion, you could also use a N/C N/O relay that will allow charging while the motor is running(N/C) and will "isolate the second battery from the system when your not running(N/O) Basically the second battery will recieve a charge while the motor is running and be disconnected from the system via the relay when the motor is off. Thats probably your best bet. Either way good luck with your project.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Amperage of the batteries or charging circuit won't pop fuses. That's the supply side. Overloading pops fuses. Think about it, most houses have 100+ amp service, but the breakers don't pop because of it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Amperage of the batteries or charging circuit won't pop fuses. That's the supply side. Overloading pops fuses. Think about it, most houses have 100+ amp service, but the breakers don't pop because of it.
    You are right. In this case he is just trying to isolate a second battery (for his stereo)from draining the main one while still being able to charge it with the stator. Probably wanting to play the stereo while stopped and not haveing to worry about draining the battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information