Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detail: 1990 "7-Up Edition" Mustang...

My neighbor bought a very clean 1990 Mustang. It's the 7-Up Edition. Google it to find info.

I found the paint to be VERY hard. With #83 and a 8006 pad it took awhile to get the major swirls out.

Here is the car when he brought it over. He just recently clayed the car so he said it wasn't necessary. I clayed a panel and the paint was clean so no claying was done. We had a short rain storm the other day and it was a dirty rain.

After I washed the stang with Gold Class car soap. Used Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner on the rims.

It was hot yesterday, so I pulled the my Camaro out of the garage and pulled the stang into the Camaro's spot. :Ohnoes: I then went to town with #83 and a 8006 pad at speed setting 5.

NOTE: The marks on the lower fenders are NOT dirt. The lady that owned the car before my neighbor bought it went through some hot tar and the paint got melted off.

Topped the car with NXT 2.0. I applied it by hand.

Applied Hot Wheels Tire Shine to the tires and wiped with a rag to give it a matte look. Cleaned the windows with Stoner's Invisible Glass.

And we are done.

Comments? Questions?

My brother in law owned one of those 7Up Mustangs.

Quote Originally Posted by 04RXP22 View Post
    My brother in law owned one of those 7Up Mustangs.
    They are pretty cool.

+1
    WOWWWWW! that came out great.

Keith, i didn't know you detailed cars.

Give us some tips and tricks on keeping up a black car and getting out minor scratches in the clear coat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

Give us some tips and tricks on keeping up a black car and getting out minor scratches in the clear coat.
    I second that

+1
    So Keith do you do mobil detailing I work in Brea my Black Sierra could use a good detail Nice work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

Jerry, did you see this thread?

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49480

Detailed the wife's black XC90. Before I drove it back over to their house my nieghbors came over and couldn't believe how deep the paint looked. They are old and they were amazed. That makes me feel great. They leave for Africa and Europe on Tuesday for a month. They told me to detail both their cars before they get back.

Here is a 2002 Firehawk I spent 11 hours detailing.

The key with keeping black clean is washing correctly and drying correctly. The less you touch the paint, less chances for swirls to develope. When washing a car a two bucket method should be used. Fill one bucket up with car soap and water and the other with just water. After you wipe the car with soap, dip it into the plain bucket to get the dirt off. Then dip it into the soapy bucket and then wipe down the car. Repeat those steps. It keeps the soapy bucket clean from dirt and grime, thus reducing the chance of having dirt and grime on the wash mit when you go to clean the car, thus reducing the chances for the dirt to cause swirls to develop. Always use a real sheep skin wool mit or whatever they are called.

When drying, I like to use an electric leaf blower. Again, less touching means less chances for swirls. I got my electric leaf blower at Lowe's for $29. I use it to get the heavy water off. No, it will not get all the water off. The water that stays on the car, I spray some quick detailer onto the panel and wipe clean with good quality microfiber towels.

As far as removing swirls, you need a dual action polisher. With the right pads and products, you can make that black Z06 look like a black mirror.

www.meguiarsonline.com is a great website to spend some time reading. You'll learn a lot. And don't jump onto the "Zaino is GOD and everything else sucks" like a lot of people on CorvetteForum. The owner of the Firehawk swore by Zaino until he saw his car in the sunlight. He literally threw out all his Zaino stuff and bought the Meguiar's products I told him to. He bought a dual-action polisher and I went over one day and spent the day showing him how to use it. His car looks great. A lot of the meguiars products I use have to be bought online or at a detail shop.

If I come to Mud Bug I can show you if you want. lol. Don't think I can bring my whole detail cart though. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    So Keith do you do mobil detailing I work in Brea my Black Sierra could use a good detail Nice work!!!
    Thanks man. I don't do detailing for business. Only family and friends right now.

If I really thought about doing it seriously I would like to get insurance just in case the planets aligned perfectly and I made a mistake on someone's paint finish.

+1
    I will be your friend I'll even let you ride my GPR.

Jerry, check this out.

There are a few pics from that 2002 Firehawk detail. I guess when the owner had a 12 bolt rear end put in, the shop spilled rear end fluid on the right rear quarter. They wiped it with a very dirty rag.

Here is the same panel after I used a few products with my porter cable to remove the swirls.

And here is the panel after I waxed it.

Like I said, "Black is a detailer's final test."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information