99 ultra ignition... can I just swap it into my 2000 get the different plugs and go?

So I found a complete ignition box with coils and everything even spark plug wires... comes from a 99.. it is my assumption that ALL 99 models had the different ignition? Anyway, the seller supplied the following part numbers:

coils: F6T513
    Igniter control: F8T34573

I can't seem to find any information on this at all... Just want to make sure that it will work, and that I can just swap out the 99's ignition box with mine, and get the new plugs and be ready to go. BTW, what is the part # again for those special 99 plugs? I don't mind paying $15 a piece once a year for plugs if I can get 1-2mph maybe more out of the ski...

I look forward to the responses!

Jared

Also, I DEFINATLY wanted to make sure that their is no risk involved here.. and why again did kawi quit using this ignition the first year? Was their problems.. anything I have to worry about? I don't want to blow up my perfect ski that's for sure!

Jared

+1
    All that is different is the cdi box inside. you can just swap it out and you are good to go. not all 99 cdi's are the same, some of them are the later version. If you want a new version to play with and try it out then send me a PM and I'll give you mine cheaper then that guy prob is. I have to have the new one because I chose ada head instead of R&D heads.

What do you mean by if I want a newer version.. you mean what I already have or the 99 version I want for better performance? Because yes I'd definatly be interested in that. You have a PM in a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    All that is different is the cdi box inside. you can just swap it out and you are good to go. not all 99 cdi's are the same, some of them are the later version. If you want a new version to play with and try it out then send me a PM and I'll give you mine cheaper then that guy prob is. I have to have the new one because I chose ada head instead of R&D heads.

so vwhat happen and withch is better

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Not all 99 have the old style ignition. My 99 said to use regular BR9ES on the sticker on the F/A box. I have also heard of other 99s that used the regular plugs instead of the RBC oddballs.

+1
    The original Ultra 150 had 150 HP, hence the name. They had trouble with detonation tearing up engines and they had to use a special spark plug, NGK R6918C-9, which could dissipate heat a little better. These plugs were rather expensive, about $36 at the time. When you bought an Ultra and sent in the warranty card, they would send you a spare set of plugs. I believe the plugs are now about half that price.

They finally retarded the timing a little bit, which reduced the power output to 145 HP, and eliminated the need to run the expensive plugs.

The change began with hull number (HIN) 41804, but even after the change, 150s were shipped with the expensive plugs and specified them on the flame arrestor label.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The original Ultra 150 had 150 HP, hence the name. They had trouble with detonation tearing up engines and they had to use a special spark plug, NGK R6918C-9, which could dissipate heat a little better. These plugs were rather expensive, about $36 at the time. When you bought an Ultra and sent in the warranty card, they would send you a spare set of plugs. I believe the plugs are now about half that price.

They finally retarded the timing a little bit, which reduced the power output to 145 HP, and eliminated the need to run the expensive plugs.

The change began with hull number (HIN) 41804, but even after the change, 150s were shipped with the expensive plugs and specified them on the flame arrestor label.
    So if sombody wanted to gain 5 hp all they would need to do is change the plugs and the front cover or did they retard the timing by changing the flywheeel?

+1
    Good question. The parts manual doesn't show any differences in the ignitor or flywheel for different serial numbers.

Thread Information