Thread: Flipping a GPR

+1

Flipping a GPR

And I don't mean a quick turn-around resale!

I need to flip an '01 GP1200R to refinish the hull. What are some things I need to be careful of when doing this? Does the engine need to be blocked or will the mounts & stringers take the upside down load? I plan on emptying the gas & oil, but what else? I've done this several times with empty hulls, but this is my first attempt with an assembled ski.

Thanks!

PS. I have an idea of how I want to actually turn it over, but I'd like to hear anyone's experiences with this. I doubt I'll have any help, so "six big guys & a couple of cases" won't work.

I would empty the fuel tank and take the engine out. If you can trust flipping the ski with the engine in it, i dont, the hull would flex and not give you good results. you want to have no weight on that hull when sanding.

Oh forgot take the battery out too. By doing all this it should lighten the hull enoguth that 2 to 4 people could lift it and flip it over.
    Last edited by krispaintballz; 02-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.

+1
    Thanks for the input. I won't be truing the hull - just refinishing. Some flex shouldn't be an issue. I just don't want the engine to end up on the floor I really don't want to take it out if there is a way to avoid it. I have so many projects in the works I really need to be efficient.

Battery's been out for so long it didn't even occur to me!

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    If you want to go the easy way, flip it over and shore it up with some wood to take the load.

I had a Sea-Doo motor end up on the floor from not doing this once.

+1
    Yeah, I've heard those horror stories about the early Sea-Doo "drop-outs" That's what prompted me to ask about this project.

There's not much of a lip under the GPR seat opening, hopefully it'll be enough.

2 MAN JOB. I slid mine off of the trailer on to a sheet of foam rubber which was on the garage floor. From there you just flip it over onto its side and then on over to the handlebars. Mine had a little gas left in it and it did leak all over the place. It leaked from the bolts in the top of the gas tank. My handlebars got bent in the process, but it was upside for about 3 months.

ps. REMOVE RIDE PLATE BEFORE YOU PUT THE SKI ON THE GROUND.

take a floor jack and a piece of wood and support the weight of the engine that way. I am taking a 1300r apart myself as we speak to paint the entire ski, I am taking the engine out just to be safe. And yes its a pain in the a&& to do just to paint a ski!!!!

+1
    I thought about rolling it on padding, but I don't want to damage her (she's fragile in places ).

I like the floor jack idea...

Hope to have her back on her keel in a couple of weeks or less.

I would just spend the extra time and do it without any problems. Drain the gas/oil take everything out that would fall out, battery, etc. Then take out engine, flip the body, no bending or breaking. Oh then while you have the engine out you could clean out the inside and all the hard to reach places on the engine. IN THE END you will feel much better!!! Spend the extra time and you will be thankful.
    kris

Thread Information